I went out in the garden to pick some peppers and strawberries and just generally check on everything, when I noticed a fuzzy white mold growing on the top soil of several beds.
I am a homebrewer and have frequently seen people say they put their used grains after the boil into their garden, as well as dumping the mead lees or beer trub onto the soil. The mold is coming directly from the grains- I've been doing this for months and had no issues, but its rained solidly for over a week here and now I have mold. I went in and removed all of the surface mold I could see, as much of the grains as I could get, and the one strawberry plant that had mold actually on it.
The plants with the trub and lees didn't have mold, but once my husband missed and poured some ON the plant instead of around it, and they all have yellow burned spots on them. The trub/lees contains dead yeast from finished fermentation- again though we were told lots of people do this and nobody else seems to have a problem with it harming their plants.
Is there anything further I can do if more mold comes up tomorrow, and does anybody have an alternate viewpoint on my having been advised to use these brew cast-offs as fertilizer?
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.. but its an organic garden with both fruit and vegetables so I got confused.
Any help appreciated.
Edit: posting a photo of the yellow spots I THINK were from pouring the cast-off lees directly on the plants and not the soil. I have cucumbers popping up so it seems to just be aesthetic? Or is this from over-watering caused by a week long downpour?