Nancydobs

Is Rhino EZ-straw safe for organic gardening?

I saw a big bale of chopped straw at the local nursery and snatched it up without reading the label. The stuff is chopped to 2" length and I'm dying to use it as a mulch in my organic vegetable garden, but after I got it home, I noticed the label said Rhino EZ-Straw "with tack" to prevent product from blowing away. It doesn't tell what the bonding agent is, just that it's safe for pets and children! I can't find any info on the web. Anyone familiar with this product?

Nancydobs

Well, today I heard from the company. It seems the "tacking" agent in EZ-Straw is guar gum, which is found in many organic foods. It's a derivative of the rubber plant. So, tell me what you think. Is this safe for an organic veggie garden?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like it. :) If it's permitted in organic food and we've eaten it (I know I've eaten it, too), it will probably decompose without any bad effects.

My purely unscientific opinion; I haven't looked anything up this time. :shock:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Nancydobs

Thanks! I spread a thin layer over carrot patch after seeding, hoping it will help germination. I also asked the company whether the guar gum additive will make the straw MORE enticing to slugs or LESS enticing. They said, "Good question, we don't know." Hmmm, I'll know soon enough! Will try to remember to post a followup.

Gee whiz, 2" chopped straw was just too irresistable, I didn't even LOOK at the label! I had visions of buying a bale of straw and running it over with the lawn mower. Can't imagine what a mess that would've made!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”