Crabgrass
Newly Registered

Fertilizer!?

Can anybody recommend a good general purpose fertilizer for my veggies? I have a 10x15 raised bed, second season. I am trying to build up good healthy soil, but I know this takes time. I have tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, beans, peas, squash and potatoes. I would prefer organic fertilizers as I have yet to perfect a chihuahua barrier and I don't want my dogs rolling around in chemicals :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Compost!! Start a compost pile now and you will have some of your own homemade compost by fall. In the meantime, you can buy it bagged.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

For fertilizer that is slow working, check out Plant-tone, Flower tone, etc, Espoma. I am not endorsing, just check it out. Available in box stores and garden centers.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I use compost and, when I want something more intense, I use worm castings from my worms. In between applications of compost, I drain leachate from the worm habitat and dilute it 9:1 water:leachate and water the veggies and other plants (e.g., roses, container citrus) with it.

Those are pretty much it. I do have one lonely container of blue stuff I'm very gradually using up on my orchids, but quite honestly, I think the last time I applied any of the orchid "food" to my cymbidiums was last...summer? Maybe summer 2010???

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”