PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I've got one of these guys prowling my garden at night

Some of you may recall a story I wrote in a thread about some tadpoles that turned into toads in my pond. I set about a dozen of them free in my garden. That was a year ago. I never knew what happened to them if they made it or not. A few months back I was surprised one day when I was checking some plants and a toad popped out. Anyway, a few nights ago I was checking my plants for earwigs, and saw my little buddy from a few months back on the prowl.

I have been noticing less earwigs/damage lately I think the guy is helping me with that problem.

[img]https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/942_2878.jpg[/img]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Sounds terrific! I wouldn't say he's "prowling"; I'd say he's "patrolling" the garden on your behalf. :)

Good to have an ally, isn't it?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Garden_Newbie
Newly Registered

Brilliant! I never thought you could use toads as a form of organic pest control, but it sounds like it's working. They get all the bugs they can eat, and you get a bug-free garden! :D

Nancydobs

You're on to something here! If I put toads in my raised beds, what if they jump out? Can they jump back up there and get back to the plants? It's about a 10" jump!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Maybe. But your garden area has to be hospitable. They need places to hide, and it would be helpful to have some shallow dishes with water (though not entirely necessary as long as they have some cool damp areas). They are not gonna stay in one area out in the open. They are gonna move around and explore, and like I say if it is not hospitable they will probably bail. My whole garden area is fenced in so I don't even think it could really leave if it wanted to. But maybe it doesn't want to, maybe it gets enough food and feels comfortable with what it has to live and hide in.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”