banyandreams

Where can I find handdrawn illustrations of insects

I am collecting handdrawn illustrations of beneficial insects, have found some, but still looking for these:

Whitefly parasitic wasp
Spined soldier bug
Spider mite destroyer
Predatory thrips
Parasitic nematodes
Mealybug destroyer
Damsel bug
Assassin bug
Aphid midge
any kind of Aphid parasites

Where can I find?

Gardener Don
Cool Member

Regarding pictures of insects

I would encourage you to check your local extension office or ring up the University of Iowa or University of Illinois. Both have neat books on insects, both beneficial and those that can tear your garden up. Books normally run about $25.00. Good Luck

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Gardener Don,

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener. Good ideas, but Banyandreams lives in China. :shock: I suggested on another thread that he try searching google images for the specific insects.

Newt

Gardener Don
Cool Member

Sorry, I did not notice the orgin of the text

Hello,
Sorry I did not notice the orgin of the question. Yes, Google is probably the best place to identify.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Also, try going to your local book or naturalist store and look at Peterson's guides to insects, Audobon Society is usually just photographs but, often have some drawings as well. And there will be several other books.

Also, try your local library and any University Libraries, the older books from the 70's and before are all hand drawn with very few photographs.

Just to find some possible titles go to:

gateway.uvic.ca

and look up insect AND Indentification or something like that then if you want to see if you can buy some of the books that you find go to:

bookfinder.com

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”