Merk1_99
Newly Registered

new garden low in NPK how to raise?

Looking to increase my NPK levels in our new gardens. I tested the soil and found in one garden that all NPK were low. The second garden NP were low, and the other bed PK were low. Is it natural for all three to be different even though they are on the same 1/2 acre plot. I started a compost in Sept but it is not ready yet. Is there something I can use to amend the soil that is organic. I am afraid asking at the local box store they will only steer me towards nonorganic methods. Hopefully you can help me find something to increase these values. I have a lot of seedlings to plant end of May.

Thanks

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Lots and lots of organic material is going to be the key to solve your problem. I'd get started with a decent organic fertilizer that is strong with the particular nutrient that you need in each garden spot. Do some research on alfalfa meal, cottonseed meal, bone meal and blood meal.

An alternative is to plant specific plants that match the soil you have. Root crops in the low N areas, legumes like green beans in the areas low in N. Plants get 90+% of their nutrients from the air around them, according to John Jeavons.

In the mean time, build the soil with tons of organic mulch that will break down into organic material to give tilth and nutrition to your soil.

I've never tested the soil in my garden, I just rotate crops and hammer in the organic materials!

TheSilverSurvivor

Blood meal for Nitrogen

Bone meal for Phosphorus

Wood ash for Potassium

*Adding wood ash will raise your PH a little so make sure to check your PH if you add ash to your garden. Epsom salt will acidify your soil again, but you'll need to add a cup of Epsom salt for every 100 sq. ft. every two months to keep your PH stable because your plants will eat it up.

You can still use your compost even though it's not done cooking. It won't be as potent, but it will still feed your plants. You can also mix up some compost tea with some of it and just feed your plants with that.

Fill a bucket 1/4 with compost, fill up to 3/4 full with water, set on a loose lid and let it sit for a couple weeks to ferment. Dilute with clean water until it looks like mild tea.

Merk1_99
Newly Registered

Thanks. I was able to find bone meal and blood meal to add to the garden plot. Now I just need to find wood ash. I am going to use the half processed compost when I plant. It is going to take a few years to get it where it needs to really be.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”