witek
Newly Registered

poor root crops

Hi:)
I live in southern Ontario. Have a loamy soil in the garden, lots of sun exposure, overall the conditions are on the dry side (cannot overwater). For years I have: great tomatoes and squash, OK- onions but the root crops (beets, celeriac, horseradish) are poor: small roots (I.e. celeriac size of walnuts, horseradish thin. Exceptions are carrots (passable) and parsnips (very good). Tried bone meal and composted manure does not seem to work at all. Did the soil test (myself) phosphorus seem to be OK.
Any suggestions?

lorax
Greener Thumb

Maybe your soil is too rich. I've always had the best results with beets, horseradish, neeps, carrots, etc. in the worst possible soils. Wicked drainage and loose structure are great, but if there's too much nutrient there, they're never going to tuber up satisfactorally.

Try an experiment this year - grow some root crops in your garden soil, and grow some of the same in deep containers of playground sand, and see which ones come out better. If the ones in the sand are what you're looking for, the problem is too much nutrient in the garden.

TheSilverSurvivor

If there's no signs of parasites and your soil is tilled a good 12" deep, there's a few things it could be.

Shallow watering.

A surefire way to ensure deep roots is to dig post holes in between rows, or among your beds, 12" deep, fill them with sterile gravel and water those.

You may be watering plenty but your soil may be draining too fast. You can increase your soil's water retention with organic matter, wood chips, perlite, etc.

Thin, or stunted root crops sounds like too much nitrogen. You want low nitrogen, high phosphorus and medium potassium.

Double check your soil's PH agianst your crop's preferences. You could have plenty of phosphorus, but it may be unavailable to your plants. Phosphorus is most available in PH of 6-7. The further below 6 and the further above 7, the more the phosphorus gets "locked up" in soil by other minerals until it's completely unavailable to your plants.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”