valerieT
Newly Registered

lasagna garden easier than tilling?

I hurt my back a couple weeks ago,digging up and moving some daylilies, it feels better now but I don't want to risk another attack.
I orderded a bunch of ferns, hostas, bleeding hearts, lily of the valley and astilbe that just arrived.
I was planning on tilling then removing the grass then tilling again, but I've read that tilling can be bad for the soil and it sounds like a lot of work!
My question is, can I lay down layers of newspaper, topsoil and manure then plant into that immediately? I'm afraid to let my new arrivals wait too long. I thought I sitll had plenty of time for them to get here!
Thanks to anyone that can help this overzealous, procrastinating, new gardener :)

applestar
Mod

I do this all the time and believe it will work for you.

The order should be:
0) Use edger to edge the desired borders of the bed
1) mow the grass and leave clippings on the ground
2) fork the ground -- using a garden fork, stand on the fork and then just tilt it back (lean back while standing on it and step down). Do this at approx 8-12" intervals all over the bed
3) put down a layer of manure another amendments and fork again if desired, then rake smooth.
4) water in well
5) lay down a 3-5 sheet layer of wet newspaper/newsprint/Kraft paper which should extend beyond the intended bed
6) additional layers of compost/weedseed free greens/weedseed free browns mulch
7) water well
8 ) topsoil/sand/compost mix
9) mulch a border or path around the bed covering the protruding paper

Good luck and hope your back s better soon! :wink:

valerieT
Newly Registered

Thanks so much! I'm going to run to the garden center and get started today. :D

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

works better if it can sit for a few weeks or months after assembly, to give the worms time to start incorporating the under-the-cardboard amendments into the soil, but should work well enough for those perennials.

if you wanted to do veggies, I'd want more time, though.

Leolady
Newly Registered

When I started my raised beds 3 years ago, I just set up the ties on top of the grass [which had already gotten quite tall]. Then I put a thick layer of damp newspaper down over the grass. I topped it off with a very thick layer [about 8 inches] of grass hay. I planted through the mulch and I had a lovely garden without a lot of work.

[img]https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/choclatechef/DECORATING/BACK%20YARD/000_0005.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/choclatechef/DECORATING/BACK%20YARD/000_0006.jpg[/img]

Georgene
Newly Registered

I use this all the time in my perennial garden. When the weeds get too thick or some plants are too aggressive, I lay down thick sections of wet newspaper around the plants I wish to keep and cover them with mulch. This pretty much kills the plants being covered and allows the desired plants more room, sunshine and air circulation.

I find this method way easier than digging up the bed and replanting.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”