desi1115

New gardener!!! Help please!

I recently moved into a home where I have plenty room to grow a beautiful garden. I planted some seeds and my Nana also brought me some plants she had started. In my garden I have : Dill, Tomatoes, Mint, Pencil Cactus, Caster Bean (I know, not edible), Rosemary, Jade, Aloe, Green Onions, Carrots, salad blend, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Mother In Law's Tongue, Tarragon, Cilantro, Sweet Basil, Green Peppers, Yellow Peppers, Cantaloupe and Watermelon... I know, a lot for a newbie but I seem to be pretty decent at gardening. The Dill, Mint, Pencil cactus, Caster Bean, Jade, Aloe, Mother in laws tongue, Cilantro are all already growing and have been growing a while, my nana gave them to me. The rest I started from seeds. My question is, do I have to give them plant feed? All I have been doing is watering them and almost all the seeds are sprouting nicely. I potted them in miracle grow, but some of them such as carrots, broccoli and cauliflower I put in the ground with some miracle grow soil. Can I bring any of them inside? Also any tips on making them grow would be much appreciated, I'm new here so hopefully I posted this in the right area. :)

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum! For future reference, Miracle Grow isn't organic!

Your seedlings should be fine without extra nutrients for a while. I'd let them get growing then side dress with some nice compost. Soil tests will tell you what to do, I'm not sure where you might get them done in Fl. though.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The jade, aloe, mint, and mother-in-law's tongue (aka snake plant) should do fine indoors. The snake plant is amazingly hardy. I had a very large one that was handed down to me in a very small pot. I put the pot in a shaded east facing window and never did anything except give it a little water occasionally. It kept getting huger and huger. The soil in the pot was gradually disappearing as it got more and more depleted and the plants kept growing and multiplying. I considered it a science experiment in how much plant material can be created out of a very small amount of soil, water, and light!

desi1115

rainbowgardener wrote:The jade, aloe, mint, and mother-in-law's tongue (aka snake plant) should do fine indoors. The snake plant is amazingly hardy. I had a very large one that was handed down to me in a very small pot. I put the pot in a shaded east facing window and never did anything except give it a little water occasionally. It kept getting huger and huger. The soil in the pot was gradually disappearing as it got more and more depleted and the plants kept growing and multiplying. I considered it a science experiment in how much plant material can be created out of a very small amount of soil, water, and light!
Thanks! I love the way the aloe plant looks, I think it would look great in my kitchen. Wasnt too sure about the jade, I'm glad that can come inside too. I am so glad I picke up gardening as a hobby! Now I'm addicted!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”