peachguy

Fixing Defiences Organically

How do you fix the soil if a plant has a deficency? I know you need build up the soil and feed it with rich organic matter but are there any organic ferts. that you can use in between when you are waiting for the organic matter to be broken down?

Newt
Greener Thumb

How do you fix the soil if a plant has a defiencey? ... are there any organic ferts. that you can use...
The short answer is yes.

What you would use would depend on what nutrients are missing. The only certain way to tell what is missing is to have a soil test. Often the plant will seem to 'tell' you. Chlorosis is a good example, but there are different types of chlorosis from a lack of different nutrients. Without a soil test it might be difficult to know for certain. You might find this helpful.
https://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/microchlorosis/microchlorosis.htm

Newt

peachguy

Well regarding to soil testing where are good places to do that I know in the U.S. you have extension offices but here in Canada we don't. Opa do you get your soil tested if so where?

emiwri

ooh! I didn't realize we could take our soil sample somewhere to get tested in the US! I should try it. I wonder if it's expensive?

I've always used a soil test kit with the little capsules. You mix in a little distilled water let the capsule dissolve and add soil. The color indicates deficiency or abundance and it tests for pH, Nitrogen, Phospherus, and Potash. Of course they get expensive if you do it often.

peachguy

Yes I use the home test kits for big three NPK and the ph of my soil, but they don't have ones that test the minor nutrients that is when you need to take it to a lab.

emiwri

Then that would be a problem... I wonder if they have any labs you can send a soil sample to. I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help...

Newt
Greener Thumb

Emiwri, It's not expensive to get a soil test through your local extension service. If memory serves me it's about $15.00 or less.

Peachguy, Here's where to get a soil test in Ontario.
https://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/research/labs/index.html

Newt

peachguy

Thanks newt that is great I didn't think of OMAFRA, i don't know why i didn't but i am defiantly going look into now that i know where i can a test.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Peachguy, you are so very welcome! :)

Newt

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”