ryalscd
Newly Registered

wild birds as fertilizers?

So I have a fairly large backyard garden that I mulch heavily with leaves from my yard every fall. While the pile shrinks by spring, there are usually several inches left. In the past, I have tried different methods from leaving them in place and only clearing away what I want to plant, to tilling them under. I realize there is not much nutrients in leaves, though its great for building organic matter and keeping down weeds. In the past I've bought fertilizer to incorporate into the mix, but I hate doing that and I've not found a great source of organic fertilizer for cheap. So I had an idea and I was wondering if others think this will work:

Spread bird seed over the garden leaf mulch in early spring to attract birds/squirrels. They will dig/peck for the seeds in the leaves aerating the mulch, and leave behind copious amounts of fertilizer, both of which will accelerate the decomposition process and give my plants nutrition. I plan to do this early enough so the hot manure has a chance to decompose before I plant. I have some questions though:

1. Would this produce enough fertilizer to make a difference?
2. Is this safe? Any concerns about wild bird feces in the soil?
3. Would I have plants growing from the bird seed? I was thinking the mulch would prevent sprouting, and I've also heard bird seed doesn't sprout well?

I've been trying to research this for a while and haven't come up with good answers. Sounds like this method hasn't been used before, but I think it has potential for an easy, natural, and beneficial application of fertilizer. Suggestions? Thoughts?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with Mg on all that. I have hundreds of sunflowers that start in the spring from last year's sunflower seeds in the birdfeeder. Fortunately I don't have to do anything about them, since newly sprouted sunflower plants are one of the groundhog's favorite snacks. I also get some kind of broom corn like thing and other stuff from the bird seed.

For small areas, I just bury the last of the fall leaves in the ground while planting. I don't use any fertilizer on my garden except the leaves/mulch and compost and everything seems to do well.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryalscd
Newly Registered

Thanks for the feedback. I have tilled the leaves in in the past, but then I don't have any for mulch, and I have ALOT of leaves to the point of not integrating well. I also prefer to avoid tilling if possible. I have plenty of leaves in my compost bin already which I mix with kitchen and yard waste. I have about 4-6 inches of leaves over a 1200 sq ft garden. It works great as mulch and weed control, but I'm a bit worried it will serve as a carbon sink for the nitrogen in the soil, so I was looking for a natural way to add nitrogen which will help with the decomposition while adding nutrients to the soil. I naturally have quite a few birds in the garden once it warms up, and I was hoping to up the ante by scattering bird seed, hopefully attracting flocks. Do birds even poop when they eat? Being so high in nitrogen, I figured even a little addition to the garden would go a long way and mix well with the leaves. I was also thinking the 4-6 inches of leaves would prevent seed germination, but it sounds like I probably would have sunflowers etc growing. I might just try it as an experiment, but I was hoping to get some positive reinforcement :) At least it sounds like it would not be a health hazard.

soil
Greener Thumb

What does your mulch look like after a year before adding more leaves? Have you ever made leaf mold before. It's a form of nutrient and biological rich compost. Very easy to make too.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

High nitrogen will break those leaves down quick, UREA works great.

I mow my leaves with the lawn mower to mulch them into smaller pieces. I blow them into a large pile and throw in a few hands full of urea for the winter. About January and March I throw in some more Urea. Then during the summer when it is hot make sure the compost pile is in full sun and cover it with black plastic so the sun will heat is very hot. Every time it rains pull the plastic off so the compost will get wet. By late July the leaves will look like potting soil.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

many of the insect-eating songbirds like perches. sticks that stick up farther than most of their surroundings will encourage more year-round additions of ferti. I'm not sure that birds tend to poop where/while they're eating, but they do tend to when they take off, so having many places to take off from helps.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”