btrowe1

Lack of snow possible bacteria problems???

A friend of mine was telling me that due to a lack of snow on the ground, (Glens Falls NY area 50 miles north of Albany) There could be bacteria problems come this growing season as the snow would wash out the soil., We've had almost no snow at all,Lots of rain though, last year we had close to 4' on the ground at this time. Is this true?? I never heard of anything like this before,If so is there something I can add to my soild besides the usual compost of manure That I usually add. Intresting question. thanks..

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Snow doesn't "wash out the soil" any more than rain does!

However, what your friend might be thinking about is that getting your water in the form of rain not snow, implies an unusually warm winter. Winter cold usually helps kill off a lot of pests like mosquitos, boring insects in forests, etc. A warm winter tends to mean more of those kind of pests.

applestar
Mod

Other implications of lack of snow for gardener's --

For some of us, Lack of winter snow could also mean less (municipal... well water too?) water later when normally spring thaw fills the reservoirs and waterways.

if temperatures were comparably cold, lack of snow as insulation can actually cause some perennials to freeze and not be able to survive the winter too.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”