PrincessE

Can I use Soil not for container gardens

I bought a bag of Organic soil for my container garden. I just noticed on the back of the bag that it says not for containers. I was curious if I could use it anyway? Many thanks!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Whats in the mix?

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You could probably use it if you added a lot of perlite and sand. I would avoid adding any peat moss, because it probably already has that in it. The reason the label said "not for containers" is that excess water won't drain fast enough, leaving your plants to die of root rot. The sand -- be sure to get "sharp sand" not playground sand -- and the perlite will fluff up the soil, allowing for faster drainage. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Basically agreeing - soil and compost in containers tend to pack down and not drain the water out. But I'm thinking what you got was basically topsoil. If that is so (Eric's question is about that), then peat moss might help. But Kisal is right that if it already has peat in it, you don't want to add more. But you are going to have to add something to keep it lightened up, and well draining -- sharp sand, perlite, maybe even bark chips.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would mix some garden soil with the your mix like like 1 to one with a strained garden soil then make the top three inches whatever mix you have. The bottom layer will hold the moisture and give good root support!

applestar
Mod

Often "garden soil" would add silt -- or clay -- which will also inhibit drainage, though this will depend on local soil.

If it says "organic" soil, it may also contain humus or compost, composted mulch, peat moss or shredded coir. Perlite is most often added in a commercial container mix. They are puffed mineral (like popcorn, so to speak) so it "lightens" the soil literally as well as figuratively to help drainage.

For the most part, I prefer to add 1/5~1/4 by volume of sharp sand -- usually referred to as builders sand, but I sometimes just buy the brick/paver patio sand -- the coarser one for larger containers and finer one for small containers. Adding sand will make the container heavy so not for hanging baskets, etc. (I do use perlite for those), but I find the added weight helps to keep them from tipping over when the plant grows up, the soil dries out, or on windy days.

Raibowgardener's suggestion of bark chips is a good one too. I like using smaller (like pea gravel size) bits of composted bark mulch, especially for acid loving plants and tropical forest-type plants and woody plants, but I wouldn't recommend it for heavy feeders (like flowering annuals) because they can tie up the nutrients while they decompose.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

All my outside containers like half a whisky barrel or wine barrel, I acually put a light weight material at the bottom of a 2 foot deep container to make it ighter and use less soil. I use either broke up styrofoam or empty cap on plastic water or pop bottles. This also gives good drainage!
+++
I use strained garden soil and mix a little sand or anything I have on hand! It always works. I even put some rabbit manure in the bottom with leaves! In a big 10 gallon container outside throw any scraps like banannas or egg shells. Anything you would put in a compost works in a outside flower container of any large size!

PrincessE

So sorry I haven't replied to this post. All my notices were going to my junk mail so I thought there were no replies. The bag says Organic Garden Soil. I didn't see a listing of what material it was made of. After reading your responses I think I'm going to take it back and exchange it. If I have to go to the garden center to buy something to add to it so I can use it I might as well exchange it for something I can use. Many thanks to all your responses. I'm so glad I didn't use it.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I agree. Exchanging it is probably the best choice.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”