Vorguen

My little backyard project from my new house!

Hello guys, if you all remember (probably not lol!) I was the overenthusiastic (and clueless :P) new gardener that was about to get his own home and was trying to learn as much as possible before he got his hands full of dirt and green. :)

Well, (and luckily for me, my wife has experience gardening unlike me haha), I finally got my house at the beginning of December, so now about a month and a week later my New House project is finally finished..

so basically when I moved in I noticed that the ground wasn't very well taken care of and there were many patches of missing grass that were muddy and much of it looked overall in bad shape, I was thinking over-mowed and under-watered.

Anyway, I decided in order to let the backyard become healthier I let it be for a whole month, so basically I haven't messed with it (other than picking up trash and spreading a bit of organic matter) and after a month the back yard looks SIGNIFICANTLY healthier (and probably ready to mow :P)... and I found so many interesting plants growing there and I'm dying to know what they are.

Luckily I don't have a lot of creeping screwbeans growing in my yard since they're invasive and all over my neighborhood..

Anyway, these are some of the plants I found, I posted a thread earlier with a funny plant growing in my backyard, and for those who saw it this will be the first picture, the Updated and semi-fully grown plant!

So, now it will finally be put to rest between whether it was a mustard, a parsley, or a dandelion (OR something different?! :O), I'm still not sure what it is... This picture should also give you an idea of what the majority of my soil looks like, a clay type soil that is dry and looks like its in bad shape

Here it is, the exact same plant right now:

Picture1:
[img]https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/Vorguen/CIMG2898.jpg[/img]

here is the picture of of the way it looked like when I posted it first... also, the plant right next to it thats slightly different still looks exactly the same!

Picture2:
[img]https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/Vorguen/utf-8BSU1HMDA0ODEtMjAxMTEyMjktMTc0Ni5qcGc.jpg[/img]

Here is another interesting plant in the backyard, this one is sprouting some really pretty bright blue flowers, not sure what it is and if the flowers are fully bloomed yet but they sure are pretty (and tiny!)

Picture3:
[img]https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/Vorguen/CIMG2899.jpg[/img]

This one right here is really interesting, you can see a mixture of a few plants, the one that I posted above, the grass that covers 90% of my lawn (the thin green one, also does anyone know what grass that is?) and a new plant with tiny little white flowers thats very pretty and all over the yard

Picture4:
[img]https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/Vorguen/CIMG2900.jpg[/img]

I am going to post another picture of the tiny white flowers :)... are these the tiny white flowers that are often in flower arrangements? I see them paired with roses often, but they could just be ones that look similar :)

Picture5:
[img]https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/Vorguen/CIMG2904.jpg[/img]

I think this one is similar (probably the same plant!) as the first picture I posted, I noticed it in a different part of my backyard, and in different places in the neighborhood too.

Picture6:
[img]https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/Vorguen/CIMG2905.jpg[/img]

Not sure what this is at all, but it has small yellow flowers!

Picture7:
[img]https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/Vorguen/CIMG2902.jpg[/img]

This is an interesting looking tree as well, wonder what it is? I have no idea O_O (there's also a Lime tree, but since it has Limes growing I know what it is XD!)

Picture8:
[img]https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/Vorguen/CIMG2901.jpg[/img]

Also, this is a little ground cover that is covering a LARGE portion of my backyard, its really pretty and reminds me of clovers... Speaking of clovers there are actually a few clovers meshed in there if you look closely too, but the majority of it doesn't look like clovers to me. Anyone know what they are?

Picture9
[img]https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/Vorguen/CIMG2903.jpg[/img]

I'm even starting to work on building some raised beds out of used bricks, man I am excited for the SPRING, I have a huge collection of seeds (I just went to a downtown market and some guy was selling seeds for approximately 1-10c a package and I think I grabbed at least one of every seed he had haha) and a few helpful people have been helping me out as well, on top of what I've collected myself. I have been collecting wood pallets as well and I'm about done making a little box of sorts outside for my compost (mostly to look nice) :P

Also, any suggestions on what to do next for my garden and maybe some stuff I can start growing already would be amazing! I don't run the heater that much during the winter so my house is relatively cool but not as cold as outside and I could probably do window gardening if I paid attention to my windows... or anyone know what plants would grow well here in South Texas? I think I'm zone 10 or 11.

:)

Thanks everyone for your help in advance!

-A very excited and enthusiastic new gardener.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

#1 -2 and #6 Common Sowthistle (Sonchus oleraceus)

#7 Cat's-ears (Hypochoeris )

#8 Maybe a over grown pear tree.

None of them are Dandelion

Just throwing out ideas to get the ball rolling.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vorguen

I looked up the sowthistle online and it said it was tasty and edible... I'm very tempted to go in there and cut it up and cook it XD

as for the other stuff, anyone have any idea about the plant with the little blue flowers, or the tiny little white flowers and the ground cover? Those are very interesting to me :O

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Basically you have a nice collection of interesting weeds.

I'm thinking 6 & 7 might be common groundsel (senecio vulgaris).

Picture 4 is definitely not baby's breath, the one the florists put in with roses. Might be chickweed.

Vorguen

A couple of notes, the plants from 1-2 are also the same plant in 6 thats tall, and the small covering below it in picture 6 is the same one with the little blue flowers..

I wonder what #9 is? lolz..

Also... I was wondering if any of these weeds are useful and if I should try to propagate, transplant, let grow, harvest, or just mow through them lol.

Maybe the one with the pretty blue flowers might grow into something pretty if it gets taller

I also have some grass seeds in my garage that I'll probably spread around in the Spring, try to help the patchy areas of my backyard.

Man, I don't know where to get started! I really want to have a beautiful garden with some healthy organic vegetables and fruits!

XD so confused lol

btw Rainbow, you said pictures 6 and 7 but I'm not sure if I understand what plants you are referring to lolz

Edit: on a side note, I posted a thread on lawn care asking about what lawn mower I should buy if someone can help me with that here is the link thanks in advance !!!

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41892

-the overwhelmed new gardener lol

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I would torch them

Vorguen

Torch them? :O why would you advise that?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

"If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place"

Eric

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

we are talking weeds not much more organic then flaming a few weeds. no pesticides.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I love your enthusiasm, but really they are weeds. Your little blue one isn't going to get taller. The common groundsel is the yellow flowered one

[url=https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/weeds/photos/cm_groundsel1.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/weeds/plants/cm_groundsel.htm&h=300&w=300&sz=46&tbnid=FxOozuc4XAsF7M:&tbnh=89&tbnw=89&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcommon%2Bgroundsel%2Bimages%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=common+groundsel+images&docid=hnuTjW7fH55ltM&sa=X&ei=Ah8UT6iPDMf30gH7zOS3Aw&ved=0CDcQ9QEwBg&dur=105]common groundsel[/url]

It has a basal rosette and then tall flower spikes.

In traditional herbal medicine, chickweed tea has a lot of health benefits. But I'm not sure what you started out to do was become a connoiseur of weeds. All of these will spread and take over your yard and your neighbors will not like you if you let them go to seed.

Vorguen

Haha I love that, the connoisseur of weeds LOL!

Also I wasnt exactly sure what was wrong with Annual rye, I didnt understand the problem there, does it stop growing during the summer?

Yeah st Augustine is what I hear the most around here actually :)

I love the little grass we have in our backyard, the one from picture 4 at the bottom left, thats the grass at my grandma's and it looks very pretty since its thin and deep green...

also, I guess I will have to reluctantly wreck all these plants in my backyard, truthfully going in and plowing down all these weeds (90% of them which look very interesting or pretty!) seems like such a hard thing to do, I was (hoping LOL) that they would turn out to be something useful so I could keep them around.

Well I have a lot of citrus / papaya / avocado and other fruit bearing trees I'm going to start planting asap, and I'm looking into the vegetables that were recommended :)

Thanks a lot :)

PS: I looked at the grass seeds left over at my house when I bough it, and they seem like a mixture of 10+ different grasses.

Vorguen

Yeah we don't have a gutter. :(

Today my wife and I are going to work on clearing some of the backyard so we can start planting some vegetables :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

8)

Eric

Vorguen

Just started my compost pile today... most of what you see in the pictures is on it :P

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

:clap: :clap:

Vorguen

I just.hope I did my compost pile correctly... There is branches and leaves from a tree that got cut down at the bottom, grass clippings and different plants from the backyard, used coffee grounds, kitchen scraps, newspaper, and I mixed it with dirt from the backyard.

I water it every couple of days :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree - you are doing a great thing and have a good mix of stuff to compost. Watering every other day sounds like probably too much unless it is really hot and dry where you are, right now.

And I wonder about the tree branches at the bottom. Doesn't that make it hard to turn your compost, or to get your nice black finished compost out of the pile when it is done? In my experience, the finished stuff tends to always be at the bottom (partly because I keep adding new stuff at the top), but for you it will be all mixed in with tree branches, which aren't going to break down any time soon.

Vorguen

Oh sorry for the misconception I have been watering the compost pile about twice a week not every two days... Mostly whenever I add new stuff to it but if the stuff is small I try to put it inside instead of on top, and I've turned it only once since I started it... Also as things soften up I try to break them up a little bit with my shovel to try to break them up a little more.. I figured it would be the last thing to decompose but I'm not too worried about this I figure I'll slowly cut them up since the branches are only 1 inch in diameter and soft :)

Vorguen

Ah thanks.. I figured about as much. :)

My compost just looks like its a random pile right now... Wonder how I can tell if there is magic going on in there.. lol!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Vorguen wrote:Ah thanks.. I figured about as much. :)

My compost just looks like its a random pile right now... Wonder how I can tell if there is magic going on in there.. lol!

Put your hand down in it towards the middle of the pile and see if it is warm. If it is working well, it will be at least a bit warm. If it isn't, cold piles can still compost nicely, just slower. But if it is warm, you will know for sure magic is happening! :)

Vorguen

Do you mean to stick my hand flat over the pile, or to dig it all the way inside the pile to see if its hot, today it was raining and I went outside to put some scraps on it and there were a lot of flies on it, guess that's normal haha it smells fine though which is good :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nope, sorry, putting your hand flat over the pile won't tell you anything, it will not be warm on the outside. You would have to put your hand down in toward the middle of the pile. If you are squeamish about that (there is garbage and earthworms and stuff in there), get a thermometer.

They make special thermometers for compost piles:

[url=https://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=compost+pile+thermometer&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17868496188406507679&sa=X&ei=CNYnT-KPIeeq2gWNxZDkAg&ved=0CJUBEPMCMAI]compost pile thermometer[/url]

If you are all in to the science of it and want to track how your pile heats up and how hot it gets, and when it starts to cool off, you would need one of those. Me, I stick my hand in to get an idea of what is going on.... :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

PS there shouldn't be lots of flies if you cover the scraps thoroughly. I dump my bucket of kitchen scraps on the pile, then put a big layer of leaves / weeds/ grass clippings or whatever I have on top of that. No flies. But you're in a warmer climate, maybe it's more difficult to avoid. I wouldn't have flies this time of year, no matter what I did.

Hortman

Hello Vorguen. Hortman here in Chicago. Your #9 looks like
Glechoma or ground ivy. Congrats on your new house! Enjoy!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”