PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Garden Plans 2012

Here is my Garden plans for 2012. It could change a little before then, I am not 100% decided on this. Some of my tomato picks I am not 100% on. Some stuff is already in pots like the Gypsy Pepper and Serrano. Some things I am gonna experiment on like the slow-bolt cilantro and Deers Tongue Lettuce during Spring/Summer.

Have you made out your plans yet? Post them up.

****Spring****

Tomatoes

Cherokee Purple
Box Car Willie
Green Zebra

Micro-Tom - 4 in pot
Tiny Tim - 6 in pot
Red Robin - 8 in pot

Peppers

Serrano - Pot
Sweet Chocolate bell
Lemon Drop
Pepperoncini or Hot Cherry
Aji Dulce
Gypsy - Pot

Herbs

Dill, Mammoth
Basil, Purple ruffles
Basil, Lemon
Basil, Genovese
Parsely, Italian plain-leaf
Cilantro, slow -bolt
Yarrow

Veggies

Bean, Royal Burgundy (bush)
Bean, Blue Lake (bush)
Bean, Mellow Yellow (bush)
Cucumber, Mini White
Cucumber, Lemon
Cucumber, Double Yield
Lettuce, Deer Tongue

Fruit

Cape Gooseberry
Sugar Baby Watermelon
Minnesota Midget Melon

Flowers

Marigold, Tangerine gem/Lemon gem
Sunflower, Sunspot
Sunflower, Velvet queen
Nasturtium, Black velvet
Nasturtium, Moonlight
Nasturtium, Empress of India
Impatiens
Chamomile

*****Fall*****

Tomatoes

Black Krim
Black & Red Boar
Abe Lincoln
Rose de Berne
Rutgers
Dwarf Beryl Beauty - pot

Veggies

lacinato Kale
Carrot, little finger
Carrot, Romeo
Carrot, Scarlet nantes
Lettuce, Ashley
Lettuce, Romaine (green and reds mix)
Lettuce, Rouge d'Hiver (romaine)
Lettuce, Rougette de Montpellier
Bean, Kentucky Wonder (pole)
Bean, Rattlesnake (pole)
Beet, Golden
Beet, Cylindria
Radish, Icicle
Radish, Sparkler
Radish, Splendor
Radish, Crimson Giant
Radish, Watermelon
Radish, Easter Egg
Radish, China Rose
Endive, Broad-leaved Batavian
Garlic

Herbs

Cilantro
Parsley
Dill
Basil

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Ahhh Nice, That is exactly what I need, something to go by, all the stuff I'm growing is off season and or Just random things, and Nice variety, I should start doing that, as for me, I'm Just Growing Tomatoes and Peppers in a random set, I don't even label them, I just wish for them to Show up and Surprise what I grew.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yeah successful gardening requires good planning. When I started I grew things all over the place. I also was using up any and every pot I could find. I was growing some stuff just for the sake of growing it, just cause it was fun. But then I starting thinking about costs, space, and thinking more about the things I eat most. So my plans started to revolve around that.

Another thing too, start getting your hands on as many seeds as possible. Make trades or buy plants then collect their seeds. Lots of my plants I collected their seeds and got tons of them.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

You know I never thought that way, well I'm trying to grow things that I have never tryed, Like Eggplants:I never knew what it was till I saw the seeds this fall, So I'm trying to grow that, and I have made trades found free seed sites and now I have about 50 varieties, but my goal is to grow rare veggies I never had, Like I didnt know there was more than 2 type of tomatoes -_- Lame me hahaha but like I said I'm just starting to be a gardener.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I start out with a plan to, but dang it I have been buying to many tomato seeds I need to stop....

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I remember I ran out of my 1 variety of tomatoes I had, and I was in need and now I have like 16 different types, its sucks in a way because I cant chose which to plant, but I must do a list of the ones I should grow first and then later the ones I haven't

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

dustyrivergardens wrote:I start out with a plan to, but dang it I have been buying to many tomato seeds I need to stop....

I got like 46 varieties of tomatoes and still got like another 10 on my wishlist. But I won't bother trading for awhile cause I am becoming kind of like a seed hoarder. I also got a junk ton of Pepper seeds too, probably around 32 or so varieties.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

I know what you mean I got tons of stuff and still want more, I'm trying to get some ghost peppers or trinidad scorpion peppers I'm actually eating a lot of habaneros to get ready to eat the worlds hottest peppers besides getting hbanero seeds

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I have a plan every single year. And it seems to always prove as a model of what I wanted to do, not what actually gets done. :roll: :oops: :roll:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

GardenRN wrote:I have a plan every single year. And it seems to always prove as a model of what I wanted to do, not what actually gets done. :roll: :oops: :roll:

Yeah I am expecting some problems. I may not have the space I think I do plus I am anticipating the bugs giving me problems too. I am a little worried about the heat in the summer, some plants did fine and others struggled.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's what I'm thinking so far (haven't gotten as far as varieties)

front 5x10' bed (sunniest): row of garlic that's already planted, row of broccoli very early that will get pulled by June and replaced with squash, 3 tomato plants, 2 pepper plants, 2 basil plants and fill in all the spaces with marigolds, nasturtiums, and onions.

4x8' bed next to stairs, kind of shady: mixed lettuces, spinach, chard, onions, lemon balm, chives, sage, dill.

4x8' bed on patio (next sunniest): a row of carrots, a row of celery, 2 rows of peas and some parsley that all get planted early. Later add 3 tomato plants (peas will be close to done by then) and maybe plant some spinach in the shade of the tomatoes to keep it from bolting so early. A couple pepper plants if there's room. Fill in with marigolds, dill.

4x8' bed on patio (part shade): peas, cabbage and chard early, then beans, zinnia and cosmos, summer savory, fennel, more basil.

Grow potatoes in a large container. Try the borage again, but put it in a flower bed, not in the bed with the tomatoes, where it crowds them out. I might try planting some carrots in a flower bed as well as squash.

Tons of annual flowers, herbs, and vines for the containers/trellis on the deck. More herbs including chamomile. Probably some more trees and shrubs, etc for my native woodland shade garden. More butterfly/ hummingbird flowers .... (more, more, more ... I want more :) )
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I did not have many flowers around the property but I am gonna do it next year. Your plans sound good RBG. I have a few perennials too like Sage, Rosemary, Sweet Mint, Chocolate Mint, Lemon Balm, Yarrow, and Peppers. My Serrano and Gyspy peppers are going on year 2. This cold weather doesn't seem to be bothering them. They are flowering and producing peppers as I type this. But the growth is slower compared to Spring/Summer.

I tried to start some Chamomile a few months back. I got some sprouts and tried to move some around and most died and I was left with one plant. Then the rain and wind etc killed it. Does it grow good in pots or better in the ground? Is its growth habit invasive? Could I grow it in a semi-shady location?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I tried growing chamomile before in my herb garden. But my herb garden space is unfortunately kind of shady (I have trees, so not much good sunny areas) and the chamomile died out. So I would say no, not invasive, and no does not do well in semi-shady spots. I'm going to try it in a flower bed this time, because the flower beds are in some of the best sunny spots.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:
GardenRN wrote:I have a plan every single year. And it seems to always prove as a model of what I wanted to do, not what actually gets done. :roll: :oops: :roll:

Yeah I am expecting some problems. I may not have the space I think I do plus I am anticipating the bugs giving me problems too. I am a little worried about the heat in the summer, some plants did fine and others struggled.
I don't usually have too many problems brought on by nature. What usually happens is I have plans, then feel the need to add a few more plants (overcrowding), Start things too early (too big transplants), rush hardening off (leads to some dead seedlings), and find myself unable to keep up with weeds (leads to a less than optimum yield). Which is why last year and this year, my "plan" efforts revolve mostly around weed control.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

This spring I'm going to try my first potatoes, using the tips I've learned here. I'll be using a huge tub and layering with soil and the used hay from my rabbits's litter box.
If the hay seeds a bit pulling them is easy since it'll be a container. Plus my boys can eat the hay weeds.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Sounds cool. I wanna do sweet spanish onions but don;t have the space. BTW if you are still interested in those Micro tom seeds I can still send you some.

What happened with the plant I had was that it got 1 tomato and had several more flowers. And then the plant just stopped growing. The one tomato stayed green for so long and now finally it is turning red. I have a few spare seeds from my original seeds. And I hope to get a few more out of this one tomato. If I get some seeds from this tomato I can send you some real soon. Otherwise I only have a few seeds for myself from the original seeds to start a new plant. And I will start that in Spring and seeds I collect from those I will ship some off to you.

Have you ever grown Tiny Tim or Red Robin? They are small dwarf tomatoes too. Next year I am gonna try them out. They grow fine in small pots.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Do you mean me?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Yep.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Thanks ! I'd love some Micro Tom seeds ! I'm moving soon but I'll PM you my new address soon. Thanks !

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well I opened the tomato and got 9 seeds. There was about 13 but the others are tiny and probably no good. I have them fermenting now. Probably be ready in a week.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

PunkRotten wrote:Well I opened the tomato and got 9 seeds. There was about 13 but the others are tiny and probably no good. I have them fermenting now. Probably be ready in a week.
After fermenting the seeds. put the seeds in a conatiner of clean water the viable seeds will stay on the bottom anything floating is no good. In case you didn't know. :D

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I can't wait ! Thanks !

rainbow2328
Newly Registered

I have general varieties of veggies planned but at this point I am more concerned with where I am going to place the garden exactly in the front yard to make it presentable by either using

b) raised beds or

c) materials to create a border if not using raised beds. I am doing a lot of research right now and will keep my eyes open for free materials.

My front yard is cut down the middle with a sidewalk to the front door and are patches of 7x10 approx. on the left and 13x10 approx. on the right. About 2-3 feet on the left is going to stay a small flower garden but the right side is going to be wide open after I pull a 20 year old boxwood (neighborhood cats hang around and stink up the place). I plan on turning the whole right side into a veggie patch with flowers sprinkled throughout.

My veggies will be:
three sisters
melons
cucumbers
peppers
brussel sprouts
carrots
radishes
beets
spinach
lettuce
potatoes (in a bin)

herbs:
sage
cilantro
rosemary
mint
basil
chives
catnip

I still have to plan the layout fully and may have to put some stuff in a side yard next to the driveway.

Other than raised beds, what are some other ways fellow gardeners plan to section off and edge? I have seen wine bottles and brick layered at 45 degrees but wanted to hear more about ideas or plans for other reclaimed/recycled materials. :D

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I am going to try alot of different things like starting potatoes in the greenhouse! I guess the pineapple tomato will be my best plant! I am starting kohlrabs this week inside along with a lettuce mix! I bought a lettuce mix from Livingston seeds today and it has like 6 different types of seeds. It also makes a nice looking bed with the reds and greens! The mix has 8 grams of Crimson butter, redsails, Iceberg, bibb, & lolla rosa! The pack cost $2.19 not bad.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”