Bellaluna707
Newly Registered

Carrots and Other Crops

Hi again,

I just wanna know... is it better to plant carrot seeds inside or outside?
Thanks!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I would think most would say, Outside.

If I chose to start carrots indoors, I wood probably choose a nugget type carrot. Less of a tap root to deform.

Help me out her guys. :lol:

Eric

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

for me, direct seeding - no question about it (g)

I like to do a "patch" - a typically square chunk that I rake very very smooth - no lumps or chunks - then sprinkle the seed over the area (this vs 'rows') and tamp in.

as they sprout/grow I 'thin' them eating the smaller carrots, and keep harvesting . . .

it helps enormously if your 'patch' is - through gardening use - relatively weed free.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Plant carrots in every lettuce and radish bed you can and reap the carrots after the other crop is done its a space saver and they grow better!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Carrot parsnip beet turnip radish have never transplanted well for me. Ever.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with every one else. What you want with a carrot is the root, so if you disturb the root, you have messed up your plant. Direct seed it outdoors "as soon as the ground can be worked" in early spring. Don't bury the seeds; just pat them lightly so they are in contact with the soil and may dust a tiny layer of potting soil over them so birds don't get them.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I agree. [img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj163/hunt-john/gardening/IMG_1678.jpg[/img]

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Bellaluna707 wrote:Thank you! Head over to "Organic Gardening" and see if you can answer my question! Thanks! :D
What do you think about a white carrot, Bella'?

I've been tempted, maybe you will find them hard to resist. (It could be that the seed company is in your corner of the state and you can visit to make more choices.)

I have ordered from the company quite a few times and find their seeds to be first rate but, . . . . it just depends on your orientation :wink: .

You can click on the picture to go there :) :

[url=https://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_310-17.html][img]https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/Digit_007/Just%204%20Fun/Drifters-1.jpg[/img][/url]

Steve

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

funny thing is I do not like carrots but they make my tomato sauce taste so good. lol and my daughter loves those chantenay carrots that is her pick for a eating carrot. I just cook with the remaining carrots.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Steve I will be ordering those white lunar carrots! I hope they don't have to be grown on the moon!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Speaking of the moon, Bobberman -- did you see the moon tonight? Full tomorrow!

I can hardly believe it. Air inversion here -- didn't see the sun aaallll day what with the freezing morning fog, half mile visibility and dirty orange horizon.

The light fades . . . and this HUGE moon rises! Some stars are out in a deep, black sky, too!

Steve

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I would say carrots would be easier to grow outside. I have grown them in pots before so they can be grown inside. But they will do better in full sun wether in the ground or in a pot.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

What a great idea-carrots in spaghetti sauce ! Is the taste of the carrot there, or just the sauce?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

dustyrivergardens wrote:funny thing is I do not like carrots but they make my tomato sauce taste so good. lol and my daughter loves those chantenay carrots that is her pick for a eating carrot. I just cook with the remaining carrots.
Carrots are great in Taco Sauce and Salsa. I run my carrots through a food process and grind them up into tiny pieces, mix with tomatoes, onions, herbs, they are great. The carrots add an extra flavor that makes the sauce much better than before.

Plant carrot seeds early sprinkle them in the snow. When the weather gets right they grow. Harvest in November if you want they do fine in snow and cold weather. I often lets carrots grow all winter and pick them only when I need them. They are impossible to pull up if the ground is frozen. Don't pick them in hot weather carrots get woody. Carrots tops are great in salad and on home made pizza and spagetti.

Runningtrails

We add a lot of grated carrot to our tomato sauce too! You can't taste them, but they add a lot of sweet flavour and make it healthier too!

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I'm definitely going to try this !

Little Homestead
Cool Member

They taste best after a frost or two...it concentrates the sugars in the root.

I like my carrot best grated up into a cake...now there's some good eating! :D

jnunez918

has anyone used those carrot seed strips/tape. I bought a pack but think it might be better to spinkle and thin vs low grow rate. What do you guys think?

Little Homestead
Cool Member

I've never used the seed tapes...they look convenient, but I always plant such a large row of carrots that I don't want to make the investment.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I plant lettuce radish and carrots together. When my lettuce is done I have lots of carrots . The radish are done fist. I always leave a couple radish go to seed and it helps shade the bed. The carrots seem to be more tender from the lettuce and the radish looses the soil for the tender carrots! I also find a little sand in the top 6 inches helps produce better carrots!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”