Greener Thumb

Not at you, with you :P

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

LMFAO :>

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I guess old beer gets what they call skunky. I have a case of it and will save to put in some of my seed boxes to see what happens! I live right beside the old Rolling Rock brewery which now makes Ice Light and a few others! Is the old beer just as good or better?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Is the old beer just as good or better?
I think past-your eyes beer is better for the garden.

Past-your-eyes is a process of heating a food, usually liquid, to a specific temperature 98.6 f, for a definite length of time, 1 to 2 hours and then cooling it immediately. Relieving yourself outside.This process slows microbial growth in food. hydrochloric acid The process of heating wine for preservation purposes has been known in China since 1117,[1] and is documented in Japan in 1568 in the diary Tamonin-nikki, but the modern version involving immediate cooling was created by the French chemist and microbiologist Louis Pasteur, after whom it is named. I thought it was John Harrington and Thomas Craper? The first pasteurization test was completed by Louis Pasteur and Claude Bernard in April 1862.[2] Peeing in a cup The process was originally conceived as a way of preventing wine and beer from souring. [3] Making it sterile anyway.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

LMFAO :clap: :clap:

I love past-your-eyes/ pasteurize!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thank You - Thank You, I'll be here all day.

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Would there be any nutritional value with this. I can imagine it is mostly a natural product with water, hops, grain etc.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

It is true that soil micro-organisms need and consume carbohydrates and but they specialize in the complex carbohydrates found in plants, not the simple sugars found in soft drinks and beer.
https://www.walterreeves.com/lawn-care/lawn-beer-for-fertilizer/

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/tipsforgardencare
In the back of the book there is an extensive bibliography, detailing sources for much of the research the author has relied upon for his recommendations. Where necessary, he has done the scientific research himself, such as in the beer as fertilizer question (where the final results indicated that "beer is better consumed than applied to your garden.") Beer does, however, get a four-flower recommendation as a slug killer, so long as the traps are set up not only to attract the slugs but to catch them as well. In the fertilizer department, eggshells are a five-flower solution, although they shouldn't be your only source of fertilizer. The author suggests four to five crumbled shells per plant, mixed into the soil around the plant, in the garden or in a pot.
https://emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles/adams/2006/beer.htm
Believe it or not, leftover beer also makes a handy spot-fertilizer for your yard, and it's purely organic, since it's the yeast in the beer that does the job. This works best for home-brewed beer, since you end up with a thin layer of yeast on the bottom of each bottle, but it works with commercial beers too. Just collect any dregs in a plastic gallon jug; a milk jug works fine. Once you have enough, you can transfer some to a sprayer bottle and spray the solution on places in your yard that have turned brown or aren't growing well. The beer fertilizer will help the affected grass grow back in more fully. You can use it in your garden too, but it might not be as effective as other liquid fertilizers.
https://site.cleanairgardening.com/info/beer-as-natural-fertilizer.html

Do what you think is right, I say piss on it.

Eric

Runningtrails

I dump the winemaking dregs in the garden. I never thought about the alcohol. I suppose it evaporates quickly spread out on the ground ?

I'll go with that... :)

I think the live yeast is good for the soil? I know it's good for your hair (live beer, not wine).

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”