iskhan
Cool Member

How to make organic Rooting Hormone?

Hi

1)How to make organic Rooting Hormone without using weeping willow tree?
Weeping willow tree is not growing in my area and Rooting Hormone/powder is not available in my area also.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I haven't tried it, but honey is reputed to work for rooting hormone.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it wouldn't have to be weeping willow specifically, but I understand that there may not be many willows of any kind down where you are...there are willows in the forests in the north end of pakistan...maybe too much hassle.

how about aspirin? is that available where you are?

Artemesia
Cool Member

You could use comfrey. It contains a cell proliferant; allantoin.
Or you could use stinging nettle which contains a growth stimulant.
There are many types of willow, and they grow in a wide variety of environments. They grow fast. Maybe you can find some that will grow in your area.

iskhan
Cool Member

Thank for reply.
I try aspirin 2/3 times but doesn't work.
comfrey is not available.
stinging nettle available in dry form. What next?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If the plant is unlikely to grow then a rooting hormone to "encourage" the plant to grow and mature may be administered. Though not essential, several compounds may be used to promote the formation of roots through the signaling activity of plant hormone auxins, and is helpful with especially hard plant species. Among the commonly used chemicals is indole-3-butyric acid (IBA) used as a powder, liquid solution or gel. This compound is applied either to the cut tip of the cutting or as a foliar spray. Rooting hormone can be manufactured naturally - one method is to soak the yellow-tipped shoots of a weeping willow tree in water, or to prepare a tea from the bark of a willow tree. When using the shoots or bark, they should be soaked for 24 hours prior to using. Honey, though it does not contain any plant hormones, can also make an effective rooting substance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_(plant)

Just in case you didn't believe me the first time.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I have tried honey, with no luck. The theory (as I read) behind using honey is that is provides a sugar for the cutting to feed on until it can start growing roots.

But I may have done a few things wrong IDK. I took cuttings off of a flowering shrub in my front yard. I got new growth, in the early spring, dipped the cut ends in honey and stuck it in the dirt.

All it did was attract ants. About 3 weeks later the cuttings were dead.

applestar
Mod

Honey is also antiseptic/antibacterial, helps to seal the wound while retaining moisture, and is excellent on cuts and is supposed to be good for acne treatment.

I've been meaning to do a more meaningful experiment with honey (I won't say "controlled" since that sounds clinical and precise and I'm not good at that)

My theory is that raw honey with active enzymes would work better than pasteurized honey. It would have to be plants that can be difficult to root from cuttings but not impossible, and I would try several different methods but keep the rest of the conditions the same and give the usual cutting growing care like vented humidity cover and bright but indirect light.

That said, some of my cuttings using honey did grow.

Artemesia
Cool Member

The only other growth stimulants I can think of are:
alfalfa will stimulate growth with octacosanol

Tilletia caries fungus that grows on wheat grass sprouts produces phyto growth hormones
I have no idea if this will work though

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would think any kind of sea weed mix would work. Also bone meal or a light dose of bloodmeal would help! Potash for root growth can be found in wood ash! it seem like when a forest burns the potash helps the forest regrow! Vitamin B1 is supose to be a aid in growth!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

iskhan wrote:Thank for reply.
What cuttings are you trying to root. Have you tried rooting without any homone. Bottom heat and a humidity dome maybe all you need.

Eric

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Rooting hormone is about 5 bucks. Why not just buy some?

I tried honey with blueberry cutting and never got anything. I'll try buying some this winter.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Its been a long time since aspirin had any part of willow bark.

You need the bark of, or roots of a local willow, to make your rooting water.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would try the dried nettle. It very well might work just fine. Be careful to take your cuttings in the right part of the growing season. Some plants only start from softwood and others require hardwood, so the age of the cutting does matter. Also, branches that have flowers often won't root. The species of plant that you're working with makes a difference in how you should proceed. Rooting hormone is not always necessary for success. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

aspirin isn't made from willow bark, but it is acetylsalicylic acid, which is a derivative of salicylic acid, the active ingredient in willow bark.

Ishkan is in Pakistan, where apparently rooting hormone is not available, so just buying some isn't an option.

applestar
Mod

Besides, op is asking for ORGANIC rooting hormone. Typical commercialy available rooting hormone/powder is NOT organic.

soil
Greener Thumb

what kind of cuttings are you trying to root, if you can get your propagation system setup well and the right conditions you shouldnt need any rooting hormone for most plants. I think this will increase your chances of success and be much less complicated for you to be on an endless search for the perfect rooting hormone.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”