I'm allergic
No votes
Thats what British and CHinese people drink I'm American! :D
50%

Total votes: 2
Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

:?: anyone have an experience with Valerian Root harvesting

anyone have an experience with Valerian Root harvesting or growing well or not so well? Whats Valerian Root? It grows near cat tails here in MN by water mainly. I figured this might be a good place for my question. I am making a blood cleansing tea : Chaparral herb & flower, Echinacea root, Elder flowers, Red Clover blossom, Red Raspberry leaf, Yarrow flower & herb, Yellow Dock root, Hyssop leaf, Plantain leaf, Sarsaparilla root bark, Burdock root, Chamomile flower, Corn Silk, Pau d' Arco bark, Sassafras leaf & root, Licorice root, Valerian root, Stevia leaf, Rosemary,Ginger, Fresh Spearmint leaves

Some Valerian grows on my farm and so of course I want to harvest it since it naturally occurs there. I would like any info about this plant. I gathered some seeds this year. I observed less Valerian at 1 location this year from the year before.

Thanks everyone

Can a Mod please fix the poll question's spelling for me?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

For me, valerian root offers some releif to restless leg. It is sedating

I make tincture out of the (fresh) root. Dried root doesn't work as well for me.

Perhaps it is rather past time for you to buy a copy of Pederson's?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I drink a couple cups of tea a day (with sugar or honey!), sometimes more if we have company and are sitting around drinking tea.

Sorry no experience with valerian, though I do make up my own herbal tea blends.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

[img]https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa267/adaba/Ninjas397.jpg[/img]
3 Springs Massage is my symbiotic company with Capsule Corps, the Ye old farm.

I named of sections of my farm. Where I grow my herbs its called China. My Trailer is in USA. The Tin Shed is Russia.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Sage Hermit wrote:anyone have an experience with Valerian Root harvesting or growing well or not so well? --><8 snip 8--
Some Valerian grows on my farm and so of course I want to harvest it since it naturally occurs there. I would like any info about this plant. I gathered some seeds this year. I observed less Valerian at 1 location this year from the year before.
Valerain is present here in the USofA but its not native.

Valerian is a tall plant with a strongly perfumed flower spike.

Roots are the active part. I grew mine in sandy soil, so washing roots was easier than roots grown in muck.

It is at least biennial.

applestar
Mod

I drink tea maybe three days out of the week -- about three cups during the day. I loosely alternate with coffee, and I drink tea with Asian food.

My experience with valerian was short-lived as I couldn't stand the smell which to me was like aged gym socks. :shock:

The plant is drought tolerant and vigorous -- perennial, Ithought, since it persisted on living even though I stopped taking care of it left it to fend or itself mong the weeds.

applestar
Mod

Just bumping this thread since I was reminded of my valerian experience and was looking for positive reviews of valerian as an herb and garden plant. Funnily enough, found my own post, but it seems no one commented after it to defend valerian as a valuable crop.... :P 8)

I have read some comments that it should smell cloying or sweet. Could it be my plant was not representative of the species?

shadylane
Green Thumb

Applestar most likely you had the correct common medical herbal type 'valeriana officinalis'.
The fresh root dose not smell bad, the order develops as the root dries. Which given instructions always states to use dried root. If the strong order or taste leads to be unbearable, one can mix other herbs (mints) or juice with helping to ease that problem. Use 1 teaspoon(dried grated) to 1 cup of hot water.

There are many Valerians', African-valerian 'Fedia cornucopiae', Greek-valerian 'Polemonium caeruleum' and we all recognize the garden valerian-'Centranthus ruer' or Red valerian.
The 'arizonica' a small plant with pale pink or white flowers is, or was a native to the Western states.

The valerian 'valeriana officinalis' is also good for bronchial spasms and lingering coughs, as well as a sleep aid or relaxant.
They do reseed in various places, but mostly I find them along moist rocky areas in part shad to shade which they tend to lean out to the light. Beautiful fragrance, I take a whiff each time I pass which I find relaxing in it's self. I have never tried the herb for it's given affects but have thought about it from time to time. Perhaps this is the year to do so...on a garden note, harvest the root in the later part of September, which is said to be the best time.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I have MS, valerian as a fresh root tincture helped me with restless leg. Speaking only for myself, its not a cuppa, to wake up on...

shadylane
Green Thumb

Tomc if I may ask you, since you are taking Valerian root, about how much tea does it take to make a difference to ones aliment. And is that correct on the amount they are saying...I am interested in harvesting some root this year. Thank you.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

When I'm tired a cup of warm tea with added valerian fresh-root tincture. 10-15 drops. Dried root tincture is too skunky.

I suppose if you were a completist it'd be tea out of dried skullcap and a shot o honey.

shadylane
Green Thumb

I see and thank you, no it isn't obsession. I would like to have the experience of Valerian root, that I too would be knowledgeable of it like our fellow gardeners. Thank you for your time. :)

MB3

I know nothing about harvesting it, but I do really like Valerian for pain relief and mild sedative, especially a good tincture (best ones are by "Herbs, etc"), or I have used chunks of dried from Mexican markets, just boil water and add to a chunk and steep. I have also used ground powder teas and the like, but it loses a lot of efficacy.
Personally I am fine with the smell, always have been. It smells earthy. I also now attribute it to having lots of powerful painkilling alkaloids, which I need at times.

I would love to grow some myself to be able to harvest it fresh, so this topic is a good one.

applestar
Mod

Yep. Very helpful -- thanks everybody. :D
...I will re-consider... But maybe next year since I'm trying to grow so/too much stuff already :roll:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”