gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

perlite for pools

Somone just told me they were using perlit for pools in their potting mix. Is this safe? I know the DE they use in pools is not good for your garden. Just wondering and looking out for this guy.

Thanks

Dono

BostonianChick

Hey Gixxerific!

Yes using the perlite from your pool in your garden is perfectly safe!

applestar
Mod

Well, I found this so far...
PERLITE
Perlite is an expanded silaceous rock (silica). It is usually manufactured by milling to a desired particle size, adding 1-3% water and then rapidly heating to about 1600 deg. F, where it pops similar to popcorn. In fact, the particles are similar to popcorn when viewed under a microscope. The result is a low density powder (2-8 lbs/cu.ft.) with complex shapes and crevices that can be used for some filtration processes. Fundamentally, perlite performs the solid/liquid separation process differently than DE. The individual perlite particles themselves possess few pore structures as opposed to DE, which by nature of its intricate channel and throat pore structure actually traps and retains particulate matter. Perlite generally traps contaminants in the interstitial spaces between media particles forming a matrix. The material is considered non-hazardous except as a nuisance dust.
Source: www.filtrexnj.com/docs/pdf/precoat_media_fact_sheet.pdf

They should also be able to find MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the specific product they are considering on line.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”