gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Rid-x for your plants

I was just in a discussion about using Rid-x on your plants. I can not see this as being benneficial but I could be wrong.

Anyone ever hear about this?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

OK, I think this question will show the world my ignorance of chemical gardening.

What is Rid-X? thx

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:OK, I think this question will show the world my ignorance of chemical gardening.

What is Rid-X? thx

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
Don't feel bad you shouldn't know this product in the world of chemical gardening. 8) Rid-X is an enzyme/bacteria mix for use in cleaning or keeping septic tanks going good.

Which is why I am amazed someone would try to use this on their garden.

FOr the record I was not going to use this someone else was aking if it was okay, say's they heard a bunch of people using it. I did a search and found nothing of the sort.

john gault
Green Thumb

I've seen the commercials, but that's the extent of my knowledge on Rid-X. Seems to me it would be more beneficial in the compost pile, but really can't see why anyone would do this, it's just not needed. I'd be more skeptical of putting it in the garden.

Edit: A thought just passed through my head. Are these bacteria of the anaerobic type? Seems like a possiblity since they are poured in water and I would think much of a septic tank is lacking in oxygen. If this is the case I see less of a reason to use this product in an aerobic environment.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Jhon good point on anaerobic vs aerobic. Not knowing the makeup is what scares me. I also suggested to this guy that it MAY work in the compost pile. I could not even find a MDS on it.

applestar
Mod

Looks like you guys brought up most of the points That came to my mind.

First thought -- Doesn't that have something to do with plumbing?
2nd thought -- It's intended to be flushed down a toilet on a septic system. No possibility of guarantee of safety on - or in any kind of proximity to - food plants whatsoever.
3rd thought -- it's probably anaerobic and more "bad" bacteria are anaerobic... I'm not sure if I even want them in my compost pile.

john gault
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:... I'm not sure if I even want them in my compost pile.
I agree, not knowing the specifics of this stuff, even if I came across this stuff for free I still wouldn't throw it in my compost, much less my garden.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

In the garden I am very sceptical as an environmental engineer and gardener. As a compost starter if you are starting one for the first time, it will work if you don't use too much. It will work similar to the other more expensive compost starters. The only reason I could think of to use it around plants is if you are doing lasagna gardening and think that it will release the nutrients faster, ie, compost gardening and even then I don't think I would.

americanempire1898
Newly Registered

Q: Is RID-X® safe for grass and plants?

A: Used according to directions, the all-natural ingredients in RID-X® won't harm plants. However, it should not be applied directly to the lawn or plants.

source: https://www.rid-x.com/faq.shtml

JGorden
Newly Registered

Some ancient humus deposits contain numerous very beneficial (to the soil) bacteria and at least one I know of serves as the basis for a remarkable septic tank solution. I would not use something like Rid X, but, I do see where people want to make the connection between a soil amendment that includes beneficial microbes, and a septic treatment that also contains good bacteria. I think folks should just be careful to make certain it is organic and safe.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

MSDS etc is here

https://www.rbnainfo.com/productpro/ProductSearch.do?brandId=29&productLineId=516&searchType=PL&template=1

but it's not especially informative regard the specific of biologicals in the powder.

Kevinwalters
Newly Registered

Ok I'm new to this site but have been extremely involved in growing everything from produce to trees and shrubs. Anything for landscape. So with that said. On the box of rid x. The is a guaranteed minimal Analysis of the bacteria in it..... if one were to get a box of Plant Success. Or Mike O'rikeys or Great White. Or Sub culture B. All of these products use bacteria to break down things such as bat or sea bird Guano. Earth worm castings. They all help with the development or a healthy root system. Chemical gardeners will not see as much benifet as the chemicals often kill the benifical bacteria. So what you will find is an overlap of the same bacteria from those other products to Rid x. However there are many others that are in rid x that are not found in the others. In my opinion that is not all bad.... This is not a plant food. Nor are the others. They simply promote the break down of organic matter into a usable form. Much like Fulvic or Humic acid. I would strongly encourage anyone who likes to read to check out the book " Mycelium running". The novel explains how the inoculation of soil with beneficial bacteria creates an underground network of mycelium that transfers a food sources from one part of the ground to another. So to answer the question .... yes. You can use rid x as a benificial bacteria but ever plant is different. Some may be sensitive to some of the non bacterial substances in Rid x

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”