Molokai_Bernie

I am a skeptic about organic maple products - a rippoff?

I support the organic farming approach and don't mind paying higher prices for “organicâ€

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I have no idea, but do these "organic" maple products have nice, detailed label information?

Perhaps an email to the producer would elicit the specifics on crop/tree care you're looking for. I mean, the premium price you probably paid should be reflected in premium care for the plants, nicht wahr? One would surely hope so!

The producer should also be touting his/her/its affiliation with a statewide or at least region-wide organic association. In California, it's the CCOF (California Certified Organic Farmers), and some non-California parties also belong to it.

An 800 or 877 or 866 phone number might be even more satisfying than an email, since then you have a chance of connecting with--gasp!--a real, live human being. :D But remember--Monday is a holiday for many people (Columbus Day in the U.S.; Thanksgiving in Canada, which has an extensive maple industry, too).

If you find out that the products *are* organic, be sure to let everyone here know! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

from an organic maple syrup producer:

Isn't All Maple Syrup Organic?
No, not all maple syrup is organic!

There is a difference between organic maple syrup and non-organic maple syrup. For years health conscious consumers have seen the word “Pureâ€

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I know a conventional maple syrup (and other things) farmer I used to work for in vermont did occasionally hire a plane to do spraying...mainly when a specific caterpillar or beetle was present.

Molokai_Bernie

Thank you Rainbowgardener, !Potatoes! and Cynthia_h. You've convinced me. The certified organic maple crystals I have been buying are worth the price. Very good, information and perspective all!

:lol:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”