cherlynn
Cool Member

Organic Gardening Soil Source in SW Florida?

Hi everyone...It's been a long time since I've been around! We moved to Florida last year. I started a small raised bed with some bagged organic gardening soil...NOT MiracleGro. The herbs - oregano, rosemary, dill and cilantro did very well. We had some lettuce and a few radishes. However, the garden really needs more soil... I would like to find a good source for organic soil. Does anyone know of a good place to buy organic soil in the Fort Myers area?

The soil...I mean SAND...here is not like the lush sweet soil we had in CT;( However, we've started a compost pile/bin and I've found a source for worm castings and worms. It's a bit of a challenge, but I'm meeting some interesting people!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Best you can do for the sandy soil is keep composting. Maybe look around and see if you can't expand your efforts... stop by starbucks type places and pick up coffee grounds, see if your neighbors will spare you some of their grass clippings or weeds or whatever, shred some newspaper to go with it, and pretty soon you have an extra compost pile, so more compost in the spring.

cherlynn
Cool Member

Thank you, so much, for your reply "rainbowgardener"! Many of my neighbors spray...who knows what!?!?! Therefore, I am a bit apprehensive about adding their grass clippings. I've always been a fan of coffee grounds...especially stopping at Starbucks. Although, I must admit, I've only used our daily grounds since we've been in FL. Thank you for reminding me! I plan to get some worms...to start a worm bin, too! I just want some good organic soil, to get a quicker start... :flower:

GomoIsGardening
Cool Member

When I lived in Ft. Myers, I amended the sand with Black Kow and composted chicken manure. I think I did a 1:1 ratio. I also dug in the shredded composted mulch, I would find at the end of the season.

Pine Island did have a few tree farms specializing in fruit trees that love your weather. Both were located practically in Bokeelia so I'd Google before making the drive. They were a hike from my parents who lived in Matlacha (Matt la shay).

There was a nursery traveling south on 41 around Gladiolus. I know it wasn't past Island Park Rd, because that's where I lived. Traveling towards LaBelle/ LeHigh Acres there were some great nurseries out there.

If you love butterflies, it was the easiest butterfly garden and the most prolific I ever have accomplished.

This was my go to book for basic information. [url=https://www.amazon.com/DeFreitas-Complete-Guide-Florida-Gardening/dp/B004VG98R0/?_encoding=UTF8&tag=thehelpfulgar-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325]https://www.amazon.com/DeFreitas-Complete-Guide-Florida-Gardening/dp/B004VG98R0/[/url]. It really helped since I came from the north.

I'm trying my best not to write a novel, so if you would like to PM feel free. I can tell you what stuff did well for me and what didn't.

Good luck, just remember amend, amend, amend.

cherlynn
Cool Member

Thank you, MaryAnn,

I have decided to just continue supplementing the soil with worm castings, compost and fish& seaweed fertilizer. The soil has improved, a bit, since last year.

We took a trip to Pine Island, last week, to a cute new shop located on property that was an old nursery. I bought some MORE organic seeds there. I also met an interesting woman at The Butterfly Estates, in Fort Myers....who showed me their worm bins. She referred me to another woman...who not only sold us worm castings and worms, from her rather large worm bins...but, provided us with an informative lesson! We are meeting some very interesting people!

I'm thinking about planting a cover crop...during the summer.

Thank you for your reply, MaryAnn! Now...I'm off to plant!!!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”