Nature's Babe

Veg/fruit/herb flowers ( Potager area) - your ideas please ?

strawberries with small bulbs, tulips iris etc
climbing beans with sweet peas
squash on a lattice frame with climbing nasturtium or morning glory
cordon fruit arch with clematis
tomatoes with pot marigold, edged with bush basil

These are my thoughts so far... any more ideas /suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Autumn treasure raspberry hedge...with ?
red lettuce with ?
ruby / golden chard with?
I would like to grow borage for the bees as it kept them busy for ages in fact it's still flowering, but in my soil three plants grew absolutely huge this year about 4ft + tall, thick multi stemmed, and so heavy with flowers it brought other plants down. Wondering what might be strong enough to combine it with or how to support it better ?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The goal is an ornamental vegetable garden?

Personally I love the look of red and green lettuces all mixed together. I grow various salad mixes (you can get packets of seeds that way) and think they are very pretty. You get different leaf shapes and textures too.

I grow the rainbow chard, which is quite ornamental by itself with different stem and leaf colors. Chard is a good companion plant for beans, so maybe could be planted with your beans and peas? Personally I'd separate the beans and sweet peas. Both are nitrogen fixers, so they don't benefit each other as much as they would benefit other things in the garden. Hyacinth bean vine and scarlet runner beans are both beautiful ornamental edible bean types.

I tried borage once and pulled it out mid-season because it got so big and weedy. Plenty of other more manageable plants that bees like. Just let your herbs (basil, oregano, sage) flower a bit and bees will be very happy. Or grow agastache/ anise hyssop.

Incidentally culinary sage (salvia officinalis) comes in a number of colorful and/or variegated varieties, very ornamental, with beautiful flowers. The plain green common sage also has beautiful flowers.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Espalier fruit with Clematis, bad idea, you need to be able to prune and train the trees easily or you won't do it. Also Clematis is heavy and will greatly weigh the trellis down over time. Clematis will shade out the fruit too much as well.
As for beans and peas, probably also not a great idea as they are in the same family and it would be like planting beans or peas twice as close together.
Bulbs and strawberries very doable I have daffodils in my strawberries.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Bear in mind edible flowers for an ornamental but edible garden. Here's a list I made at one point:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=66667&highlight=edible+flowers#66667

also squash blossoms, which are beautiful and edible.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I grow some of my basil in pots with red (or purple) basil mixed in with green basil; it is beautiful that way.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”