LMWall14
Newly Registered

Will my hubbard squash ripen after it's been picked?

I'm sad, sad, sad. :cry: My beautiful blue hubbard squashes started rotting on the vine, so in a panic I picked all the healthy ones and cured them. The ones that were rotting had grown fine up to that point and were getting quite big. So anyway needless to say the vines had not even begun to die back, but the squash I harvested were still good sized -- basketball size I'd say or maybe a bit bigger. But I cut one open and it was definitely still green -- no flavor. Will the others continue to ripen over the next few weeks/months? Or have I sacraficed my beautiful squashes? :-((( Boo hoo! Please advise ...

Laura

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You can give it a try. It seems like it's really iffy, sometimes they will and sometimes not. Maybe depends on how close they were before picking or I don't know what else. It maybe too late now, but if you are picking before ripe, you want to leave a long stalk on them. Store in a cool, dry, dark place.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

No they are a ripe as they will get. You can still eat them, but they won't keep for very long, sorry.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”