IEatMyYard

Using my pond in my garden

I was curious if anyone else gardens next to a pond, and uses it in their gardening. My property sits against a pond about an acre in size. I have an abundance of cattails along the bank, and as you walk down to the water line, the soil is dark. My questions are these:

1. Should I install a pump to siphon the pond water for watering?
2. Should I utilize the soil at the waterline in either my garden soil or compost pile?
3. Does anyone else do this?

(On a side note, I have a neighbor across the pond who has a vegetable garden as well. He fishes the pond, and what he doesn't eat or feed to the cat, he tosses in a barrel of water. He waters his garden with this water [which stinks to high heaven], and even goes as far as to throw fish remains in the holes he plants his plants in. He seems to have great results [but I think he also uses non-organic sprays]).

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

IEatMyYard wrote:I was curious if anyone else gardens next to a pond, and uses it in their gardening. My property sits against a pond about an acre in size. I have an abundance of cattails along the bank, and as you walk down to the water line, the soil is dark. My questions are these:

1. Should I install a pump to siphon the pond water for watering?
2. Should I utilize the soil at the waterline in either my garden soil or compost pile?
3. Does anyone else do this?

(On a side note, I have a neighbor across the pond who has a vegetable garden as well. He fishes the pond, and what he doesn't eat or feed to the cat, he tosses in a barrel of water. He waters his garden with this water [which stinks to high heaven], and even goes as far as to throw fish remains in the holes he plants his plants in. He seems to have great results [but I think he also uses non-organic sprays]).
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Side note: Fish is a good fertilizer but it may attract dogs, cats, raccoons, etc...
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39016
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29336&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39107

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Pond water is great with all the micro nutrients and what not. As far as using the soil from the banks. Be careful with this, a leak is a bad thing. 8)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Leak? I would assume an acre of pond is natural, doesn't have a liner, at least I never heard of anyone putting down an acre of pond liner....

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

No, surface water is protected in the state of Florida, so unless you have grandfather rights to it don't use the water from the pond. Sorry. As for the ground only if you property extends legally in to the center of the pond. Otherwise, it is stealing in a court of law. Again sorry.
Also, you would need to know what else grows in that water before you would consider using it anyway. Algea can be a real problem in Florida surface water. Before you alter the pond in anyway, besure you have the legal right to do so.

IEatMyYard

Charlie,

No reason to be sorry. I like advice that can save me from a lawsuit, or from unwanted expense. My deed specifies that my property extends 30 ft into the pond and that the pond is owned by "those owning properties immediately adjacent".

The pond is not man made. It was dredged about 15 years ago, though, and is considerably deeper around the perimeter than in the center. I know of at least one other neighbor who siphons pond water for his lawn/garden. The only deed restriction I'm aware of is that I'm not permitted to build a dock on the pond. Also, we've attempted to get the state involved in cleaning up the cat tails, but they say the pond is too small to qualify.

Just figured it would be a better option than using potable water that I have to pay for.

Thanks for the info, folks.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Leak? I would assume an acre of pond is natural, doesn't have a liner, at least I never heard of anyone putting down an acre of pond liner....
Surprise ponds can leak. Lol. Wehave an abundance of clay that is what we use to build ponds with. Never the less sometimes they leak. It can be a real pain in the you know what closing them off. Just like levees that break. Mom nature can do some weird things

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”