DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Why grow Organic?

There are many reasons, but this one is good enough for me.

Can you see them?
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Nature/FrogsoncornAugust17th2011004.jpg[/img]

Eric

applestar
Mod

How cute! Do they stay in water collected in the corn leaf/stalk pocket? I haven't seen them lately since we've had draught every summer, but we used to have them in gladiolus whorls and other unlikely places.

What do they sound like?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Not sure what, why or where. I was just out inspecting the garden and saw these two sun bathing. I assume they are tree frogs? Not sure if one showed up first and the other with a mating call? Have not heard a peep out of them.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Nature/FrogsoncornAugust17th2011001.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Nature/FrogsoncornAugust17th2011002.jpg[/img]

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

we have tons of tree frogs, great pest control.

why organic? higher quality, higher yields, higher nutrition, more diversity.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

That's pretty cool! I grow organic because one of these days the poisons used to grow food now will no longer be available. That and it's a lot more healthy for us!

stella1751
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:There are many reasons, but this one is good enough for me.

Can you see them?
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Nature/FrogsoncornAugust17th2011004.jpg[/img]

Eric
I like that, Eric. A picture truly speaks a thousand words. You are working with nature, not against it. You and the corn and the frogs are all links in the chain of life.

I garden organically because chemicals distance me from the soil. I love the notion of creating the perfect environment for another living being. It's all about nurturing. The soil, the microbacteria, the worms and nematodes, the rain and sun, and I all work together to bring a seed to maturity. If I do everything right and if nature works with me, a plant is able to achieve its ultimate purpose. I am a part of the chain of life.

Were I to use chemicals, I would just be producing, not nurturing. I would get no joy out of gardening. It would just be another chore, like cleaning the house. More frightening, I would leave this world worse than when I got here. Someone, some day, will pay for my callous treatment of the soil.

kzhen
Newly Registered

Organic is definitely the way to go! A lot of vegetables, fruits and everything else has been genetically altered. It's simply not safe and I've lost faith in the produce that we consume. The best way is to grow your own garden if you have the interest and time. How do you guys feel about this and do you notice if the fruits/vegetables that you consume have been changed?
Last edited by kzhen on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Des_WA

Great pictures! And a great reason to garden organic, I adore frogs.

Nature's Babe

lots of good reasons, in our garden there is so much life, frogs toads slow worms, newts, birds butterflies moths spiders beetles dragonflies, grasshoppers, solitary asnd bumble bees, occasional badgers and foxes and when we had a freeze there was even tracks of a wild boar to our waterhole. Without all the polllinators we would probably starve within 4 years so in gratitude I plant lots of pollen and nectar producing plants for them :D

organicgardenerswife

In a forum like this asking why organic is kind of funny! I am surprised that there have not been more replies to this thread!

The biggest reasons for me are: I am sensitive to a lot of chemicals. If I ate too much of something like iceburg lettuce, which is highly sprayed, I would get sick.
The next one is that the flavor of organic versus non-organic is unbeatable! I have always been picky about the flavors in my food, and after eating organic, I can not enjoy the flavor of non-organic anymore.

Those frogs are cute, we don't have them around here.

flowersun
Newly Registered

Organic is best. It is the only way to know you eat pesticide free food!

I miss frogs. We have no frogs in the area where we live. We went to our department of conservation branch as we wanted to start a frog pond but they said some sort of virus killed the frogs in our area.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Great pics and great reasons from all.

I have frogs toads tree frogs a mass of lizards and other critters that patrol my garden.

I do beleive it is cheaper myself as Marlingardener said. But if that is the case can somone explain to my why everything in the stores labeled "organic" is 3 times higher than the "non organinc"? :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"Organic food supply is limited as compared to demand;

Production costs for organic foods are typically higher because of greater labour inputs per unit of output and because greater diversity of enterprises means economies of scale cannot be achieved;

Post-harvest handling of relatively small quantities of organic foods results in higher costs because of the mandatory segregation of organic and conventional produce, especially for processing and transportation;

Marketing and the distribution chain for organic products is relatively inefficient and costs are higher because of relatively small volumes."
https://www.fao.org/organicag/oa-faq/oa-faq5/en/

There's a whole lot of hoops farmers have to go through to get certified organic...

All the prices would come down if more people ate organic..

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I'm scared of frogs and toads and lizards-but I wouldn't harm one in a billion years.
I respect life.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

When I was a kid in Northern Idaho, we came home late one night. It was dark. As Dad drove up the long driveway, his headlights illuminated a big lumpy garter snake. He stopped the car and told us that the snake had just eaten something so couldn't move. Rather than drive over the snake, we all got out and made the long walk to the house. Those kind of examples stay with a person. I couldn't harm a snake to save my soul.

Dr. Worm

Frogs and snakes might want to eat me, but I love amphibians.

Going organic also means you protect me and all my worm friends! We love to aerate your soil.

Other great reasons to go organic are reducing your carbon footprint by not purchasing a product that contributes to contamination, or factory farming practices that employs underpaid migrants exposed to toxic work conditions. A good rule of thumb is if the skin is thin, it is super important to make sure it is grown organically. If the skin is thick, that is also important, but not as crucial as buying organic grapes, berries, and potatoes.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”