PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

How many cucumber plants for 1 person?

Hi,

Next year I plan on growing cucumbers. How many plants is good for a single person who eats them fairly regularly? I am getting some "mini white" cucumbers, but wanted to try a typical variety too like the marketmore. I am also thinking about the spacing I would need and have no idea. I plan on building a trellis they can climb.

What spacing would I need, how big should the trellis be, and how many plants for a single person? Thanks

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I think a couple of healthy plants will drown you with cukes! :lol: With a trellis or fence I would space them a couple of feet apart and let them climb to their hearts content.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Would one plant of mini white cukes be enough? About how many cukes on average does a plant yield?

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I had 3 hills last year and was picking 25 pounds a week! That was about 12 plants.

Nature's Babe

I guess it depends how many you eat a week and if you want to make cucumber relish / pickles for winter use, my suggestion is to start early and stagger your planting so that they don't all crop at once but over a longer period.

barnhardt9999

I had one plant this year and my family could barely keep up - I ended up giving tons away. I was getting 5-10 5"-8" cucumbers per week from April - July. They respond very well to high nitrogen levels.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

A couple hills and a tripod per each will keep you full and give you some 'give aways' too. Try one hill of the whites and one of a greenskin.

I like the whites...

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”