wsommariva

Do I cut down plants/compost now or after the winter?

Hi everyone,

We finally got our two flower beds where we want them after 9 years. Since the Fall is near, I'm wondering if we should cut down our plants in the Fall or do nothing until the Spring. We have grasses, day lilies, coneflowers, daiseys, goat beard, hostas, and some plants that are unknown. We also started a 3 compost bin system last Fall. It's not quite ready and was planning to spread and dig it in in the Spring. Our soil now is just bagged top soil and peat moss.

Thanks

mtmickey

In my flower beds, I just cut off the dying parts in the fall and leave the rest for Spring. For the daisies and coneflowers, just keep deadheading them and they may rebloom again.

shadylane
Green Thumb

In the winter the cornflower is beautiful with snow covering the tops once were blooms. Shows interest in the garden. Also I have noticed the American Gold Finch (birds) making it a host for seeds to eat. If you are a nature person the grasses also make nesting material for birds once dried.

I clean up in the spring, this provides some help with over wintering for plants. I leave my Hostas and Native Lilies for spring clean up also if any.

wsommariva

Ok sounds like good approaches. I will do it.

Thank you both

FlowerPowerGirl

I just leave it all there, cover it with dead leaves in the spring and dig it all up and bury it in the spring. Worms probably eat it all within a month.

wsommariva

Yes I will leave until the Spring

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”