PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Should I pinch the flowers??

Hi,

ABout a month ago I bought a pepper plant labeled Gypsy pepper. When I bought it the plant was maybe about 8 inches high and already had a few flowers on it. So far I have not see much leaf or stem growth but the flowers are producing some peppers. Do you think I'd be better off pinching the flowers?

I am just thinking this pepper plant is gonna stay short and maybe only produce a few flowers and fruits only. If I were to pinch of the flowers would the plant produce more leaves and stems?

Thanks

shadylane
Green Thumb

It must be the weather for pepper plants lacking growth here in my area. I have the same problem. They too have blooms and giving fruit. I'm noticing that the plant should be twice the size by now and are growing very slowly. The stems are weak and with the blooms for fruit, they need support for the weight is pulling them down. Depending on the size and amount of peppers you would like to acquire, for me I'm going to see how this goes and leave my blooms on for the growing season is about over here. The pepper plants were started from seed indoors, and were placed in the garden at the proper time.
I guess I'm not much help for you, but would like to express that you are not alone with this problem.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Well I have heard that plants that bloom early is an indication of stress.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”