rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

balance

Out harvesting herbs and tomatoes today (made up about 20 servings of pesto, froze most of it, had company for fresh pesto dinner tonight).

Two different things I picked came with a pair each of squash bugs on them, in the throes of insect passion. They were so occupied that I was able to drop them on the ground and step on them. I looked around and didn't see any more. That doesn't mean there aren't more, but it does suggest there's not a huge infestation of them.

And some of the basil had round holes in the leaves, that probably were done by slugs. But well less than 10% of the leaves had holes.

So, I'm not running for the Neem or DE or anything, I'm just figuring it's all part of the balance of nature. If something I grow (other than say the wild grape vine that is a trap crop for Japanese beetles) were getting totally wiped out, I'd probably figure I had to do something (or else quit growing it, as I have quit trying to grow zucchini because of the SVB's). But as long as the damage isn't major, I think it helps keep everything in balance not to try to eradicate the pests.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Tomatoes must be coming in, I've made three batches of Bruschetta delicious!
I also have had the battles with the squash bugs, started squishing and then felt bad after spotting a toad near by. Didn't want to take away his meal.. I also agree with the infestations of them no need to keep them growing in numbers. Not for certain, but I think I have baby squash bugs, they are teeny tiny, with a yellow/greenish body, black legs and move quickly. Either them or spiders.
Speaking of balance of nature I'm so thankful I don't use chemicals. The sky was full of swallows this weekend.
Sorry for being so chatty :roll:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”