PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

When to pick peppers??

Hi,

I got a red bell pepper plant that as 3 peppers on it. One of them looks good size and can see some red coloring coming in. Can I pull it off now and would it get fully red off the plant? Or would pulling it before it colors up fully mess it up?

I also have green bell pepper too. What is a general guideline when it comes to picking the peppers off? Thx

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

picking won't mess a pepper up, but they won't get much more red off the plant. if you want ripe, let it ripen on the plant.

general guideline for picking peppers? the stem will generally break off the plant at its base pretty cleanly, but cutting works, too. pick 'em, that's guideline.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

What I mean is a guideline on what to look for as to the best time to pick them. You said to wait for the red bell to get red while on the plant. That's what I mean.

I have had jalapenos before and always picked them when they were green. I hear when you let them get more mature they turn red and the flavor is a little different.

greenstubbs

A pepp is a pepp! Even though this discusses bananas, the same holds true for my bells as well. Read what I've wrote and others as well. Good Luck https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38329

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”