dangermode
Newly Registered

I have blight! what to do...

It seems all of my tomatoe plants have blight... This is my first time dealing with this and think I may get this one yield before their goners.

Is there any ideas of what would be good to sow around August 1, after I remove my tomatoe plants?

I hate you blight. :?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'd say any of the cool season crops. Peas, lettuce, spinach, asian greens, kale, chard, etc.

Here is a map of Wisconsins Fall frost.
https://www.wisconline.com/almanac/gardening/fallfrost.html

Eric

bird dog

Work on prevention for next years crop. No tomato plants in your compost, crop rotation and the best advice I've ever been given on tomatoes is to clear all the lower branches so none have contact with the soil. I try to keep mine cleared 1' off the ground. If blight is bad in your area go with the more disease resistant types.

Thorn3
Newly Registered

My blight comes back each year. Do I need to get rid of my cages and make new ones?

farmerlon
Green Thumb

The Organics research unit at the University of Tennessee recently completed a research study, searching for resistance to Early Blight in tomatoes.
They determined that Black Prince and Black Plum tomatoes have resistance to Early Blight (and suspect that many "black" tomato varieties share the resistant genes).
Keep in mind that those varieties are not Immune to the blight, but they are very resistant.

You might want to experiment with growing some of the Black varieties. :)

vermontkingdom

I too am dealing with very bad early blight. I've had it each season for probably 15 years but this year is particularly bad. Instead of starting in late July or early August as it has for many years, this year some tomatoes had it before the middle of June.

Thanks for the information about disease resistance in black tomatoes. I can lots of tomatoes so I would be grateful if someone knows a variety of paste tomato that has similar qualities.

Thank you.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thorn3 wrote:My blight comes back each year. Do I need to get rid of my cages and make new ones?
No, but it wouldn't hurt to wipe them down with a bleach solution before you put them away at the end of the season.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

vt'kingdom - baker creek seeds carry what they call a 'black plum' tomato, but it may be so small as to be a pain for canning - they say 2 inches long by 1 inch wide.

shadylane
Green Thumb

One should remove and destroy affected plants, the leaves release spores then are carried by wind to other crops. Especially potatoes if you have any near by...clear out the infected leaves and stems and dispose in a bag to throw away. Wash tools used with a mild bleach water solution.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”