mtgarden gal

confused about my yellow crookneck squash

HI all, it's me again with yet another question. I did try to "google" the answer but just couldn't find what I wanted to know. Here it is:

How big should a yellow crookneck squash be when you harvest it for best taste? I found this one hiding and it looks the right size? (sorry about the shadowy pic but you can kind of gage the size of the squash by my fingers)
[img]https://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g411/DawnOlivo/Garden%20July%2016%202011/veggiegarden7-18-2011004.jpg[/img]

and then there's this squash, which has been about the same size for more than a week it seems:
[img]https://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g411/DawnOlivo/Garden%20July%2016%202011/veggiegarden7-18-2011002.jpg[/img]
can someone explain to me why this one doesn't seem to grow? It gets plenty of water and sun and about 5 days ago I fertilized it with some organic fertilizer. I guess I'm confused about this whole pollination thing.

Has this one been pollinated?
All the "baby squashes" that I see on my plants - have they been pollinated yet, or do they grow like that, then wait to be pollinated?
I thought squash grew really quickly after pollinated, so I'm confused by all the "baby squashes" I see but don't seem to grow or do anything.

Can someone please explain this to the newbie so I understand what's what with my squash? Thanks!!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

The size you showed is fine, don't let them get very big or the "skin" will get very tough and the squash inside not very good at all. They were pollinated or they would not have set at all. Because crook neck get so hard very quickly, I prefer to grow straight neck yellow zuccini. Even there there are two types one very yellow and one that is lighter. The lighter type is fine even in bigger sizes, but the darker ones seem to grow more unevenly.
As to growth, wheather, shading as well as water and nutrients matter. If you get a cool patch they take a long time to grow. It is my understanding that the same can happen when it is very hot, since it is then very hard to keep the plant properly watered.

mtgarden gal

Thanks, CharilieBear, that helps a lot!! :D

vermontkingdom

I like them a wee bit bigger than the two you show but be careful, sometimes if you think you'll wait one more day for size, it grows so much it loses taste.

I've gardened for 50 years and for some strange reason, it took forever this year to get our first summer squash. Of course, now that they have started to produce, and its so hot with plenty of soil water, their production is simply unbelieveable. What's better than a young summer squash, steamed to perfection (not mushy) with a little butter and pepper?

mtgarden gal

thanks, vermontkingdom!

Well, they still don't seem to be growing. Each plant has probably 20 tiny little squashes on it and they have all stayed the same size.... for days.... and days.... and days now. I'ts getting frustrating actually. I go out every day hoping to see that they have grown, even a little. and they don't. I don't understand why.

[img]https://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g411/DawnOlivo/garden%20July%208%202011/veggiegarden7-8-2011014.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What's better than a young summer squash, steamed to perfection (not mushy) with a little butter and pepper?
Delicata winter squash baked with a lot of butter on it. :lol:

well you did ask!

Eric

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

When mine look like the two in the photo, this time of year, they are ready to pick the next day. You are so far north, I could imagine them taking maybe two days, but am puzzled if the squash are just sitting after the bloom has closed, unless the fruit are not getting pollinated. If not pollinated the small fruit will begin to get very soft after a day or two, and eventually will whither and rot.

mtgarden gal

yes, it confused me too. I would be suprised if they are NOT getting pollinated, because there are bees all over my garden and they are giving me more zucchini than I can eat.

mtgarden gal

UPDATE: Well, went out and checked this morning. still no growth. I found a couple that were getting soft and rotten looking so I cut them off. The one in the second picture in my first post, that never grew any bigger, was getting mushy so I cut it off too.

I wish I knew what was going on. is this normal? is it a diseased plant? is it bugs? The plants are huge and very healthy looking. very little leave damage from bugs. The small fruits don't look like they are getting eaten by pests.

very confused and frustrated.

mtgarden gal

UPDATE: well, I just found this quote through some searching online:

"If the first few fruits wither, blacken, and/or fail to enlarge, it indicates absence of pollination, remedied when male blossoms appear and provide pollen."

I have to assume this is my problem. That I don't have enough male blossoms yet.

Concur? lol

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

This year my earliest plants went through a period of several weeks, blooming but not setting fruit because of inadequate pollination. They finally settle down to business and made a lot of squash. My later planting, after the weather was settled into the 80's started right out producing. So I think that what you are experiencing is pretty normal and can be caused from low bee activity, inadequate male flowers (those with long stems and no proto squash), or from any other factor that disrupts pollination.

LMWall14
Newly Registered

My understanding is the flowers must be visited by a pollinator 3 times in order for the fruit to set. I've had lots small squash that drops off but also see lots of successfully setting squash and am seeing those helpful bubmlebees around more these days.

Good luck!

mtgarden gal

am happy to report that, despite my ignorance, impatience and veggie gardening newbie-ness, my crookneck squash plants are producing about 4 squash apeice each week. Whether this is the normal amount or not, I don't care. I'm too delirously happy that I'm finally getting squash.... :shock: :roll: :clap:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”