mtgarden gal

fall broccoli crop?

Hi all, I'm confused on something! :shock:

I want to start a fall crop of broccoli and I don't understand whether I should start seeds NOW indoors in a cool location (because they are cool weather crops) then transplant them outdoors once the weather cools off. If so, when? In my zone, the first frost dates are between sept 1st and 15th with the first freeze around the first part of october.

or do I just direct plant the seeds in my garden NOW? It would seem to me that the hot weather of july and august would be bad for cool weather crop seedlings. Can someone please clear this up for me? Also, when should I plant my peas and lettuce for fall? Thanks!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

One would think if you take the frost date, subtract the days to maturity, you would have your answer.

Sept 15 - Packman 55 days = The last two weeks of July. Something like this. James may have some thoughts on this. :wink:

Eric

mtgarden gal

DoubleDogFarm wrote:One would think if you take the frost date, subtract the days to maturity, you would have your answer.

Sept 15 - Packman 55 days = The last two weeks of July. Something like this. James may have some thoughts on this. :wink:

Eric
thank you DoubleDogFarm. My question was more about whether to plant the seeds indoors or outdoors concerning the hot weather of July and August than actual plant dates. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

No, You question was fairly clear. I was thinking starting date could be used in or outdoors.

I start almost all my seedlings indoors. Not root crops, but most everything else. Indoors gives me more control. I don't have to thin. I only plant the strongest. I get an earlier start.

Eric

mtgarden gal

ok, Thanks! I was thinking indoors would probably be better. :D

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”