Nature's Babe

Obviously you have nice fertile soil, well done, I experimented with rootgrow
when I planted my tomatoes this year, the fungi convert non available nutrients from the soil making them available to the plant in exchange for sugars the plant gets from he sun, result so far no yellow leaves and good growth, the fungi also aid availability of moisture and help inhibit any disease.

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

Long ago I watched a truly informative video on disease and trimming of tomatoes at an organic farm. They cut with gloves and pruning sheers. The cuttings were composted after being carted away. Spacing for optimal harvest and disease reduction was included also. A fine science.

your plants look crampped. Air flow between each plant is what I advise and trim like you already are. They look healthy though for being cramped must have good drainage and water and soil and sun.

The twine method is the best really for a lot of reasons. You make a tom pen and tie them in rows end to end. they love it and makes maintenance easy. I have been thinking about building pens for my tomatoes.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

:o That is a great situation to be in "tomatoes to tall" I love that I top mine every year about the end of September I think it helps the green tomatoes ripen. :shock:

Runningtrails

She's in NY folks! Those green tomatoes are not going to have the time to ripen anyway. I prune my tomato tops off on Aug 1st so I am assured of getting the green tomatoes to ripen. Any blooms that form after that time don't have time to grow big tomatoes anyway. After a few more weeks, around Sept 1, I root prune about halfway around the plant to force more ripening.

If you prune off the tops, the plant will start to grow side suckers more rapidly. Keep an eye on those, as well and keep taking them off. In a longer growing season they can just leave the plants, but my season is about like your's, so pruning to ripen what is already there is necessary to get the most out of your time.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”