rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Seeds are a very slow way to get started when what he wants to grow is berries, mentioning blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. I grow tons of things from seed every year and I would not try any of those from seed.

Growing from seed is easy, cheap, and fun when what you want to grow is annual veggies, flowers, and herbs. As soon as you get into perennials it gets a lot more challenging and shrubs from seed are a major investment of time and energy, for something you can buy easily and cheaply as a plant.

nufcmichael
Newly Registered

ah good advice, yeah maybe in a while I will start some veggie seeds then or some herbs!

Nature's Babe

You say your space is limited, most people think of a garden as a flat surface to fill, if you think of it as a cube and plant some plants vertically,
you will get a greater return from the area you have to plant, Cucumbers and melons can be trained up instead of rambling on the floor If you have a sunny south facing wall plant with the more sun loving fruits,. Herbs can be grown in a very small space if you stack three graded pots on top of one another,, choose pots that are wide at the top and narrow at the base, plant moisture loving herbs in the large bottom pot and mediteranian herbs in the top, when watering each pot drains into the lower one, conserving water.

I'm about to start my first garden. I was going to use a mix of fox farm soil and the soil that's in my hillside. What would be the best mixture?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

bigsoil wrote:I'm about to start my first garden. I was going to use a mix of fox farm soil and the soil that's in my hillside. What would be the best mixture?
Make your own. Your wallet will stay fuller.

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Want to start off on the right foot. Thanks

FlowerPowerGirl

This is what I would do if I were you. First dig up some dirt. Buy some tomato plants at the store and plant them. Water every day. I love tomatoes.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”