Vorguen

Can anyone help identify!?

I just tasted the absolute most delicious Kiwi of my life...

I seriously had my entire mouth melt, I could not believe how much better this kiwi tasted than any other ive ever tasted.

Anyway, my question is two-fold, 1... how do I find out what variety of kiwi this is!?

2.... once I find the variety, how can I grow it myself!? how would I access a seed that would be true to it or a cutting of some sort, or a sapling / small tree... etc

On that note, knowing a variety of a fruit, how do you go about finding it in order to grow it yourself?!

Thanks for help in advance, this is the delicious kiwi

https://www.zesprikiwi.com/goldkiwi.htm

applestar
Mod

Looking at the write up, it sounds like the cultivar was trade-marked and likely patented (I.e. illegal to propagate for sale).

Because Kiwi needs a male pollinator, I'm pretty sure seeds won't grow plants that produce the exact same fruit. They probably propagate the female plants with cuttings or grafting. For all I know, this would be one of those industrial espionage level, closely guarded and protected "golden" twig. :lol:

Thanks for the link though. I'll have to try it if I see it in the stores. Think I do recognize the label -- I wonder if it's a major kiwi fruit grower/exporter?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

patented plants can still be propagated, and frequently even sold, but they have to be licensed, so they're frequently a bit more expensive to the consumer. applestar's right that you'd need a copy of the parent, anything grown from the seed would be 10000's to 1 that you'd get what you're looking for.

where to find some, though, I don't know. I remember liking those gold kiwis the last time I had them, a few years ago.

Vorguen

I am pretty sure it was bought in SAM's.. but this is in South Texas so I hope they have the same wherever you live...

aww darn, so there is no way to find a way to grow my own kiwi of that variety? Applestar you totally need to go to a SAM's and buy one of those, and tell me what variety of kiwi tastes almost that way so I can go buy my own XD

jokes aside, is everyone sure that variety of kiwi is patented? because I'd love to contact them and ask them for a cutting...

speaking of cutting, do people often send cuttings through the mail? I wouldn't mind trading with people..

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I would think it would be very difficult to send a cutting through the mail, unless you paid to overnight it and knew the person on the other end would be there to get it. Hard to maintain the right moist, humid protected environment in the mail. I suppose you could do the soda bottle humidity dome thing and then pack the whole thing carefully in a box and mail it, but I've not heard of people doing this much.

Vorguen

Oh dang that's bad news, so how do people get cuttings? Say I want a variety of fruit only grown in Florida and I'm here in Texas?

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”