paul1149
Newly Registered

How cured is my horse manure?

Hi. First post here. I hope everyone is well.

I got a yard of horse manure from a friend, but I'm not sure how cured it was. I was surprised that it was feather-light on the shovel, and it was totally shot-through with earthworms, so I began to think it was quite cured.

But I put some around the tomatoes, peppers and other plants, and I haven't seen these plants take off. It's like watching paint dry to see much growth in the tomatoes. And the banana peppers are worse than that. They have dropped some leaves and show signs of what I think is burning.

The manure is not all homogeneous. There are large chunks that seem to still be pasty. So I'm confused by the fact that the manure was light in weight and full of worms, but still chunky.

Am I burning my plants with this stuff? I think I am going to scrape it off for now and see if there is a turnaround.

be blessed,
p.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I'm a fan of horse manure. Fresh, dried, old, or new. I will cheefuly manure a garden and turn it in before planting.

I've had much less luck side dressing already growing plants with horse manure.

Leaf burning and concerns of having the full 90 days between application and harvest, have lead me to want to use compost as side dressing vs horse manure.

paul1149
Newly Registered

Thanks, Tom. On the existing beds that were top-dressed, I removed most of the manure. On the new beds, where I did turn the manure into the soil, I'm leaving it. Mostly potatoes there, and they're doing great thus far. I need to look up this 90 day criterion. I take it that's the cure time for the manure. Lots to learn.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

paul1149 wrote:Thanks, Tom. On the existing beds that were top-dressed, I removed most of the manure. On the new beds, where I did turn the manure into the soil, I'm leaving it. Mostly potatoes there, and they're doing great thus far. I need to look up this 90 day criterion. I take it that's the cure time for the manure. Lots to learn.
Um, well, sort of. 90 days is the accepted amount of time manure needs to be broken down enough for the food item to be safe to consume while in soil.

paul1149
Newly Registered

I found this at https://www.ota.com/organic/foodsafety/manure.html:

What does the National Organic Program (NOP) Rule mandate regarding manure use in organic farm practices?

No other agricultural regulation in the United States imposes such strict control on the use of manure.

The U.S. regulations for organic production require that raw animal manure must be composted unless it is applied to land used for a crop not intended for human consumption; or is incorporated into the soil not less than 120 days prior to the harvest of a product whose edible portion has direct contact with soil; or is incorporated into the soil not less than 90 days prior to the harvest of a product whose edible portion does not have direct contact with the soil surface or soil particles. See 7 CFR 205.203 (c)(1) and (2).

The requirements for making compost are regulated as well, and are designed to encourage soil health while minimizing risks to human health or the environment.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”