Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

calcium nitrate

I remember from somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind someone telling me that if corn is tasseling, it's too late to zap it with a shot of calcium nitrate. Am I remembering correctly?

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Wally? Beaver? Guys? Anybody?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Hey, Don't forget Lumpy! (Clarence Rutherford)

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Thanks MG. I put out the calcium nitrate because only a few stalks were tasseled. To all of you who didn't answer, I'm sending you all a six pack of Round Up. :twisted:

lily51
Greener Thumb

:lol:

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I'm not just responding now because I want to avoid receiving the Roundup, I swear. :D

I was curious why you felt the need to apply the Calcium Nitrate (synthetic nitrogen) fertilizer to your corn, at the tasseling stage?

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Local farmers suggested using it before the corn tasseled. I bought it at my organic supply house. They said it was organic. The literature classifies it as organic.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/461385375/Calcium_Ammonium_Nitrate_Factory_good_quality.html

I'll withhold the Round Up for you but everyone else is getting it. :D

applestar
Mod

:eek: -helpsos- :flower:

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:Local farmers suggested using it before the corn tasseled. I bought it at my organic supply house. They said it was organic. The literature classifies it as organic. ...
I'm no expert on this, that's for sure.
After I read your first post, I was curious to try to learn a little bit about Calcium Nitrate. This is some info that I found on Wikipedia...
"(Calcium nitrate) was the first synthetic nitrogen fertilizer compound to be manufactured. Production began at Notodden, Norway in 1905 by the Birkeland–Eyde process. Most of the world's calcium nitrate is now made in Porsgrunn.
It is produced by treating limestone with nitric acid, followed by neutralization with ammonia:"

I'm not saying that it's either good or bad; but Calcium Nitrate does not appear to be "Organic".

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”