Vorguen

Texas Wild Olive - Cordia Boissieri, help :)

Hello, I have a few questions about this tree...

well first off, living in South Texas, this thing grows wild everywhere (who would've thought? :P)

so, my grandma told me it grows so well all the ones in her backyard were made from cuttings, she literally just cut a branch, stuck it in the ground, ignored it, 5 years later "oh look its a pretty tree".

so its definitely very native and sturdy, I'm supposing there are better ways to handle rooting it and does anyone have any suggestions?

now also, my biggest question... I have been trying to do a lot of research on it but having trouble, one place said part of this plant is poisonous, does anyone know what part? Also I found inconclusive research on the fruit whether its edible or not, and one site went as far as saying "be careful with it only eat it in moderation" while another was saying "it makes the greatest jelly!"

Speaking of which, the fruit is slightly bitter and green but already falling off the tree, one place claimed it was supposed to turn red.

Also apparently it really isn't an olive.

ALL IN ALL, this tree has me massively confused. Does anyone know a better way of finding information on it, because my plant finding research skills are low tier lol.

or, does anyone know anything about it already..

Thanks! :)

Vorguen

dizziness? Wow I wonder why that is... that's kind of disappointing I tried one and it was good, wonder why it causes this and if its unsafe to eat then

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”