ajayk6
Newly Registered

Potting mix plant feeding

I am using Miracle Gro moisture control potting mix in my container garden of peppers/tomatoes. The package says can feed for 6 months. Can I replenish my soil by adding composting ingredients (browns/greens) in small quantities on the top soil every few weeks "DIRECTLY" to my potting soil containing the plants? If so, How long can I keep doing this, as in keep replenishing my soil for reusing the soil for many years? I am kind of a beginner in gardening having only done gardening most of my childhood as a help to my grandfather. My philosophy when it comes to gardening is to be as eco friendly and cost effective as possible. If the cost of produce in my garden is not comparable to buying, then I consider my garden a failure.I believe cost is a somewhat decent gauge of the carbon footprint involved.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I am using Miracle Gro moisture control potting mix in my container garden of peppers/tomatoes.
and this
My philosophy when it comes to gardening is to be as Eco friendly and cost effective as possible. If the cost of produce in my garden is not comparable to buying, then I consider my garden a failure.I believe cost is a somewhat decent gauge of the carbon footprint involved.
I believe this too be opposing, conflicting ideal. Chemical vs. Eco friendly.

When comparing cost to quality, I believe produce at the grocery store will be cheaper every time. Cheaper has two means in my book. Less expensive and of poorer quality.

I'm willing to pay more for seed and material, to get fresh home grown organic produce.

For most of us, gardening is a hobby, so expense may not even be a factor.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ajayk6
Newly Registered

I forgot to add practicality into my philosophy. I agree, if I have to stick completely to an eco friendly organic gardening approach with the least amount of carbon footprint, I need to probably spend a whole lot of time trying to make compost and an equal amount of time calculating my carbon footprint on the ingredients I am using. That said, I want to balance out the factors and tweak them to the extent practicable. Like I said, I am trying to find a practical way out, for building a balcony garden with eco friendly methods that make financial sense. Thats the challenge I have set myself instead of spending a ton of money and grow things which I am sure anyone can do. They practically sell you everything these days. The last I checked, most vegetation in this world does quite well without anyone actually doing anything to it. Anyone out there more closely aligned to these goals? That brings me back to my original question. Can someone answer that please ?

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”