Crystal_Sangel
Newly Registered

Compost Tea after Slow Release Fertilizer

Hi, I'm brand new here and to gardening more or less. I am just reading Teaming with Microbes and am looking for advice.

I put some Smartcote Feed and Forget slow release plant food in some of my containers. (12-12-12) Now, with reading Jeff's book, I see that was not the smartest thing to do. I already added compost when I planted the pots. I'm wondering if I should brew up some compost tea for them or if I should just leave them alone now.

Any thoughts?

For the remaining containers I have to plant I will be using compost and compost tea. But won't do anything with them until I finish the book. :)

Thanks,
Crystal

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Hi, Crystal_Sangel! Welcome to The Helpful Gardener.

Last year, the forum hosted a read-along and discussion of Teaming with Microbes. I don't know whether you've read through the discussion threads yet (they're [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=43]here[/url]), but if you're also reading the book, you'll probably find lots of additional information about care of plants in the discussions. :D

Happy gardening!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think the compost tea never hurts. Unlike synthetic ferts, you can't burn your plants with it, they will just take what they need. You can use the compost tea as a foliar spray, in which case it helps protect against disease.

Crystal_Sangel
Newly Registered

Thanks. I will give that a try. :)

And thanks for the links to the Teaming with Microbes discussions. I'm very interested in reading what people had to add.

Crystal

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

To add to this I highly doubt anything with a 12-12-12 rating is organic or slow release to boot. Most organics are very low numbers they are the true slow release. If the case is it is not organic it is more than likely highly water soluble, which kicks the slow release out the window. With that being said heavy watering will flush said fertilizer through rather quickly.

And yes a compost tea will help and will never hurt.

Good luck

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”