Crystal_Sangel
Newly Registered

Bay Willow Catkins in Garden?

I have a Bay Willow tree that is dropping catkins all throughout my garden by the thousands. Should I be picking them out of the dirt or do they make good mulch?

Thanks in advance,
Crystal

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I would use them as mulch or add to the compost pile.

Eric

Crystal_Sangel
Newly Registered

Thanks. :D I was concerned they might seed and start little trees everywhere. That's not an issue?

I don't have a compost pile yet. Will hopefully be learning how to do that soon so I guess I'll just leave them laying all over my garden this year.

Crystal

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I just looked it up, I guess there are female catkins. On my nut trees, the catkins are male flower, no seed.

Eric

Crystal_Sangel
Newly Registered

Hey Eric, where did you look that up? I'd be interested in learning more about all that.

So what I hear you saying is that in general catkins are beneficial for the soil. If they're female they may seed "weeds" but would still be good for the soil provided I don't mind pulling the seeds that germinate. Am I understanding you correctly?

Crystal

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Crystal,

I just Googled and this is what Wikipedia has to say,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catkin
So what I hear you saying is that in general catkins are beneficial for the soil. If they're female they may seed "weeds" but would still be good for the soil provided I don't mind pulling the seeds that germinate. Am I understanding you correctly?
That's pretty much it. I use all types of vegetation for mulch and if it's falling from the ski, so much the better. :D

Eric

Crystal_Sangel
Newly Registered

LOL. I have to agree. If it's falling from the ski that works for me. :D

Thanks for the assistance in figuring how to deal with all this.

Crystal

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I dunno, guys, every time I fall from the ski, it tends to hurt.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”