vegetable-gardener88

My garden

I uploaded some photos of my garden here in the UK.
[url]https://vegetable-gardening.net/gardening-photos/[/url]

As you can see we like raised beds:)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Very nice garden you have there. Neat and organized.

Red Pontiac potatoes???

Eric

GardenofJasmine
Newly Registered

That looks so awesome!

carol_in_va

BEAUTIFUL!!! :D

It looks so well organized and nicely maintained. What's covered in the back there?

vegetable-gardener88

The potatoes are red duke of york. And the covering is over cabbages and purple sprouting (like broccoli) the white sheetings is environmesh it's supposed to stop butterflies from laying eggs. The trouble was the cabbages grew quicker from the heat and then the butterflies got in underneath.

I do hate caterpillars in my cabbage:)

amyb1984
Newly Registered

is it too difficult to switch your entire non organic garden to an organic garden? my garden is big but I spend all day gardening because I love it!

vegetable-gardener88

You can grow your vegetables in a organic way when you've been used to growing them in a non-organic way. But you need to throw out the sprays, encourage the wildlife to eat the bugs. We also use soapy water for greenfly and blackfly.

We have always grow organicaly though my hubby was used to using sprays. But he has good used to not using any sprays.

I would say that by having raised beds its easier to keep the weeds under control - we hardly have any. While in a garden patch the weeds can have a tendency to go wild.

Also if you do get any trouble with a plant - there is a lot of help available on forums like this one.

The brilliant thing with being organic is I don't have to wash my vegetables before I eat them. My kids can go outside pick spinach (or whatever they fancy) and just eat it. That's what gardening is all about for me.

carol_in_va

vegetable-gardener88 wrote: The brilliant thing with being organic is I don't have to wash my vegetables before I eat them. My kids can go outside pick spinach (or whatever they fancy) and just eat it. That's what gardening is all about for me.
You said it all right here! This is how I feel, too. We've erected a teepee in the front yard that must be 10 feet tall or so, and the kids and I planted viners all around it. I thought things like cherry tomatoes and green beans would be fun for them to snatch a snack from while playing outside. And I can't help but think that standing inside a teepee covered in gourds and flowers would be a fun and magical place to be for a kid. My 9 yr old daughter loves walking the gardens looking for signs of faerie inhabitants. :)

Avamarkayla
Newly Registered

what a great video!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”