austingardner

Neem 2 for pest control, is it really organic

Hi everyone,
I have a bug problem with my first garden. I've purchased something called Neem II from the nursery, they told me it was organic but when I got it home I peeled back the label and saw all kinds of warnings about ingesting it. Now I'm worried about putting it on the vegetables that I'll be eating. If this isn't the best solution what can I do to stop ants and Caterpillar from killing everything.

Also having another problem:To protect from the birds, I've put a net over my garden and now the tomatoes are growing into the net, any suggestions on dealing with this?

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Hey Austin,

Neem II is neem oil and Pyethrin combination. Both are organic pesticide, fungicide, and miticide. I have never used Pyethrin in my garden, but I would use it as a last resort in the case of a major infestation. I have used plain neem oil mixed with water, with ok results on immature squashbugs and cucumber beetles. I use it sparingly, though. I would be more inclined to use Bt on caterpillars, you'll get much better results. It is organic. I would try handpicking them first, as well.

I wouldn't worry about you maters growing through your netting. Having said that, why are you netting your whole garden? The birds do a killer job eating caterpillars and other bugs in my garden :() Don't count them out as a beneficial addition to your garden :) They are worth their weight in gold when it comes to natural pest control!

hit or miss
Green Thumb

While I understand your concerns with the warning on the label I think you might be a little too nervous. After all, if you breathe in too much water, you drown! That wouldn't keep you from watering your garden though, would it? Sorry if I sound like a jerk, I don't mean it that way.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”