farmerlon
Green Thumb

bring back "Gardening Naturally" TV series on TLC

As an Organic gardener, I really appreciate the work of Eliot Coleman, such as his books the New Organic Grower and the Winter Harvest Handbook.

I just discovered that Eliot Coleman and his wife (gardening author Barbara Damrosch) co-hosted the TV series Gardening Naturally, on TLC (the Learning Channel), from Discovery Channel networks. That show began in 1993, and ran for several years, for a total of 52 episodes!

I bet that is a "treasure trove" of Organic gardening information, and would be of interest to any gardener (Organic or not).
Unfortunately, I can not find that it is available anywhere.

There is a really quick and easy online form at the Discovery Channel website, whereby folks can request/suggest products that they would like to see offered by the network... [url]https://store.discovery.com/productfinder.php[/url]
I want to encourage everyone who reads the HG forum to take a couple of minutes to use that online form and request that Discovery re-air and/or release the Gardening Naturally series on DVD. :D

If we all let our voices be heard, perhaps we can get some more gardening-related programming on TV.

austingardner

I don't even have a tv but I went on there for you anyways to request it because I wish our whole country would get a clue and STOP using these dangerous chemicals in our food supply. hope it helped.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Thanks, I'm sure every request for that type of programming will help.
Even if they don't (or can't) bring back Gardening Naturally for some reason, the interest that is shown in gardening-related shows may influence their future programming or series development decisions.

Gardening fans... spread the word !!! :D

ameliat

I just requested it. Our PBS station here shows gardening shows on Monday from 12-4. I do hope some of the cable stations will start airing garden shows - it would be something practical that most people could try.

valicky
Newly Registered

I registered just to say I requested it as well. It's one of my favorite shows and I've been hoping they would re-air it for years. It would be nice if they would, at least, release the series as a boxed set available for purchase.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:?: Has anybody heard anything about releasing a DVD set? I sure hope they do. I am so sick of stupid shows, kicking GOOD shows off the air! :(

jcsalerno61
Newly Registered

I had the great-good sense to record many of the Gardening Naturally tv shows (many years ago) & I can tell you they are treasures. I have something less than 1/2 of the shows & recently transferred them to dvd. It would be a great thing if all 52 episodes were generally available for purchase. :)

PoppiYYZ
Newly Registered

I have been calling Discovery Channel FOR YEARS to get Gardening Naturally back on, OR the show released on DVD. I would by the complete series in a heartbeat.

Just found this thread by doing my occasional GN search. I too have a few shows taped on VHS, and watch them regularly. They are an extra special treat to watch in the dead of winter !

Let's hope that they will release this great show.

PoppiYYZ
Newly Registered

BTW,

I was watching a Diary of a Foodie show on the Food Network, and they did a piece on Eliot and Barbara at the Four Seasons Farm. It looks like they are doing fantastic.

b_kind2animals

I never came across this show when it was airing and unfortunately doubt it will ever be put out on the airwaves or as a dvd box set as it is in the old analog 4:3 aspect ratio. Personally I've been spoiled by the 16:9 (wide screen) hd format and suspect many others have been as well.

But it sure seems to me that the market would well receive an updated version if Eliot and Barbara (or any promising proteges) were to co-host the New Gardening Naturally series.

Even though much of it is heritage growing ideas, a lot of innovations have come about since 1993; grow tunnels, floating row covers, forums such as this... I don't know the stats, but I have to think that interest in live foods is growing (pun intended) as evidenced by the increasing number of Whole Foods stores, farmer's markets, et.al.

vebyrd36

I have noticed that people are becoming more aware of where their food is coming from. A common question I get when visiting with my clients is, is it hard to griw your own food?

I typically tell them no and invite them to come and see a farm/ranch in the process of produceing food for the community.

Yes, farmers markets are gaining popularity fast. I was asked to supply chicks to the co-op market in Midland. Myself and my freind jumped at that chance to provide chicks with needed education to the community. :)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I'm there!

valicky
Newly Registered

It would be the perfect time to bring back this show. There are lots of shows much older than Gardening Naturally that are available on DVD and Blueray. I'm really surprised that it hasn't happened. I've only heard praises for this show. Please Discovery - listen to the people and release the show for re-airing or bring it out in a boxed set.

richygarden
Newly Registered

just requested! used to LOVE this show :D

flannery
Newly Registered

jcsalerno61 wrote:I had the great-good sense to record many of the Gardening Naturally tv shows (many years ago) & I can tell you they are treasures. I have something less than 1/2 of the shows & recently transferred them to dvd. It would be a great thing if all 52 episodes were generally available for purchase. :)
How wonderful it would be if you uploaded those episodes you have on Dailymotion or you tube.

We watched then when they aired but sadly didn't have the ability at the time to record them. They were so terrific, I'm completely amazed that they weren't sold as dvds.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I miss all the gardening shows there used to be several and now its all reality junk! I seldom watch anything anymore!

bright3yz
Newly Registered

Well this started in 2011 and I clicked on the link and requested.. I LOVED Gardening Naturally!! I keep hoping that ONE day I will be surprised and find it available to purchase the DVD.. cross fingers and maybe one day!!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I singed up for you Lon, a noble effort I must say. But as already said I doubt they will bring it back and if it is that old again as already stated here the new found processes would be lost. But all in all it would still be good viewing, even though I don't really watch TV.

applestar
Mod

You can find a lot of Eliot Coleman videos on YouTube. Some of them are legit and new, some are old low quality snippets of gardening naturally. :wink:

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I found some of them. Another show that I would really like to see is the old episodes of victory garden with James Crockett.

imafan26
Mod

Thank you for bringing this topic up. I never heard of this program before. I found a couple of episodes that were available on youtube and got to watch it for the first time. It was very enjoyable.

grwrn

I agree. I found some clips on You Tube and find them very informational and it keeps my interest.

Franenuss

I looked for them in youtube too and spent the whole morning watching them. I'm going to sign the request. If you know any more programs like this, maybe we could share them. I now a few but they are in spanish, if somebody wants the names, just tell me :).

Mikeys Madis Dad
Newly Registered

Hello, I just stumbled upon this while doing a Google search for Gardening Naturally and just wanted to say that the show is available on YouTube if anyone doesn't know. This show got me into gardening and taught me a ton on the subject.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Mikeys Madis Dad wrote:Hello, I just stumbled upon this while doing a Google search for Gardening Naturally and just wanted to say that the show is available on YouTube if anyone doesn't know. This show got me into gardening and taught me a ton on the subject.
Thanks for the info! I was a fan of both "Garden Naturally" & the old original "Crockett's Victory Garden" as well. I have several of the Coleman & Damrosch gardening books, & also get to enjoy Damrosch's weekly gardening column in The Washington Post every Thursday.

emmsmommy
Newly Registered

Wow! I'd forgot all about this show. I'll have to revisit it on YouTube. I also remember Mel Barthalomew having a show on TLC as well.

webmaster
Site Admin

So... what are your favorite episodes of this show?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

I enjoyed any of the episodes where they were working in the garden rather than in their hoop/greenhouse (since I don't have one). Also (of course! :) ) any episodes where they cooked any of their harvest.

bonjour
Newly Registered

Does anyone have all 52 episodes recorded?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardening_Naturally

bonjour
Newly Registered

jcsalerno61 wrote:I had the great-good sense to record many of the Gardening Naturally tv shows (many years ago) & I can tell you they are treasures. I have something less than 1/2 of the shows & recently transferred them to dvd. It would be a great thing if all 52 episodes were generally available for purchase. :)
Are you still active on the forum? Would love to watch those recorded shows.

organicpenguin
Newly Registered

I just tweeted and chatted with Netflix to bring Gardening Naturally to Netflix.

I suggest all do the same if you have netflix

They seem to be one of the best places and have most leverage to get a lost series!

bonjour
Newly Registered

This show was on the air for 10 years. Someone must have recorded them all on VHS.

I just hope they don't get thrown away!!

Maybe we should all contact the library of congress TV historical section and see if they can get their hands on all 52 episodes.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”