runner1212
Cool Member

SO MANY CRITTERS,SO LITTLE TIME

We experience nightly visits by Raccoon,Skunk,Opossum,Rabbit,Deer.Can I protect my stuff from all of them without buying hundreds of dollars of stuff?

applestar
Mod

Sounds like you really need fencing. You could start with deer "fence" netting but you may ultimately need something sturdier for more permanent solution. How big is the garden area that you want to protect?

I have heard but not tested fully the idea of using motion sensor activated devices, including security lights, radios tuned to talk stations or loud music, water blasters, etc. I did try setting out DH's old birthday gag gift -- a motion-activated, talking mounted fish -- when I had problems with groundHOGS raiding my garden. :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The deer netting would have been my suggestion. I wrap my individual raised beds in it - put tall stakes in and wrap the deer netting around the stakes. I use earth staples to hold it down tight to the bottom, but you could just weight it with rocks. And for raccoons, you have to pull it together over the top and tie it together. So your plants are in a cage.

Usually it works fine. This year something is getting my broccoli plants even though caged (they are in a raised bed sitting on concrete, so it isn't burrowing under). It may not be one of the big critters though.

I have raccoons, possums, and groundhogs, but not deer, skunks, or rabbits. The cats keep the rabbits away, but you must be farther out in the country to have skunks...

runner1212
Cool Member

To answer applestar about the area,id say 14 ft wide 20 ft length,an with mole on tha loose as well.The skunks population have become so big, tenants at nearby apt complex are being told peer outside before exiting their rooms.I aint been sprayed by one,but come way to close.last summer me n tha dog bout got sprayed.

JennieMig
Cool Member

I have had a raccoon, possum, and armadillo problem. The worst have been armadillos. I refuse to put up a fence other than the one on the property lines. I live in a suburban area and I want my yard and garden area to be open. Besides, they would either climb over or dig under if they really want in. I have found the only way to keep all of the above out is mothballs. I don't put them in my raised beds, just around the perimeter. If that stops working I will resort to a low hot wire.

runner1212
Cool Member

I guess its a good thing I'm growing tomatos,and lots of them :D

runner1212
Cool Member

JennieMig wrote:I have had a raccoon, possum, and armadillo problem. The worst have been armadillos. I refuse to put up a fence other than the one on the property lines. I live in a suburban area and I want my yard and garden area to be open. Besides, they would either climb over or dig under if they really want in. I have found the only way to keep all of the above out is mothballs. I don't put them in my raised beds, just around the perimeter. If that stops working I will resort to a low hot wire.
I will try the moth balls,thanks!!

This idea steps away from being organic with chemicals bonding to the soil :(

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Put the mothballs in a sock and hang them from posts. That should keep them off the ground.

JennieMig
Cool Member

Good idea Hit. You could also use plastic jars with holes in them.

runner1212
Cool Member

Looks like a worthwhile idea.I will try it and see how it goes.you have armadillo in FL? :shock: fisrt time I heard that

JennieMig
Cool Member

Yes, we have armadillo, and they are so destructive. I'm normally an animal lover, but I'd put a bullet in this animal if I wouldn't get into trouble for shooting in the city limits.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”