Susan W
Greener Thumb

Worm stuff and more

So I went to the Farmers Market, 1st one I have been a vendor. Was fun and sold stuff, another story. The fellow next to me had some greens, carrots, tomato starts and worm pooh. Buckets of worm pooh! I am sure I have seen him before, but this time we had a chance to visit. He bags up the stuff in large zip-loc baggies @ $2.00, and also sells by the 5 gal bucket. He lives outside of town, on the MS side, and has a worm farm about 4,000 sq ft., back in the canopy of the woods.

He gave me one bag and I bought another. His rule of thumb is worm stuff 20% of soil mix. I figured just to work in a couple of handfuls in the containers already planted (herbs). Herbs prefer lean soil. I can just work some in the top couple inches.

The stuff I got is very fresh, and he pointed out some worm eggs, and sometimes you can see a squiggly wee baby. So this should give me worms in the pots! BTW, he bags it as he sells from his buckets, tries to stay a few bags ahead. The stuff hasn't been in a closed baggie in the sun for long.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Just had to share. And hopefully comments on adding to existing planted containers. (they are 12" on up in size)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Update on worm pooh aka worm castings. I just had to work in the 2 baggies I had, and in between rain showers got some in. With our heavy rains, the soil has hardened a bit on top, and loosened that, and added worm stuff.

Today checked back on our own Search function and Google. I cannot see where it would be hard to over do. Working some in the top few inches of containers a full go.

As a side note, I was trying to work the dirt with my fingers, but think I need to break up the remaining with the hand cultivator. My old fingers are feeling the pain! (not bad, just noticeable).

And hopefully these intermittent heavy rains, thunder storms, storm sirens will end. 5 sirens in a week more than we get in a year.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

You have a CIL (Center for Independent Living) in Memphis. check with Randy, see where he's getting his compost from.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks Tom for tip. (I pass by CIL often, in midtown) I was next to Worm Guy again and we chatted more (customers/sales slow, so let's talk worm pooh!) He has the 5 gal bucket for just $10. This is worm pooh and compost, very fresh. He was going to gift me one, but as I am out-of-town for a few days delaying that until next time. I did share a (home made) bread and butter sandwich with him as a snack. Need to do more on that account!

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”