rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

mulching

We got a few hours break from the rain yesterday, so I was out and mulched a couple of the raised beds. Since there was a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it in (I'm still planting things and by late afternoon the rain came back!), I just used what was on hand. So I put down a good layer of fall leaves and then added on top some greens, pulled weeds, pulled up grass clumps (growing in the wrong place), deadheaded lilac flowers...

It is really a version of sheet composting I guess... all that stuff will eventually be turned under to feed the soil.

In the meantime, I love how it looks! The layer of fall leaves gives it that forest floor kind of look, and is nice contrast with the green plants. Then the scattering of greens and flower petals on top makes it even livelier looking.

Everything is coming along... even the chewed up broccoli plants are trying to grow back. I just left them to see what will happen, since I don't have more seedlings. Pepper plants would REALLY like more sunshine though!

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I've decided this year to go with seaweed for a mulch other than straw for strawberries. I don't think seaweed would work for strawberries.

I hope it doesn't smell too bad but I'm going to give it a shot. It's free and my garlic and fruit trees had it over the winter and so far so good.

soil
Greener Thumb

you don't have to turn it under to feed the soil all you have to do is keep adding mulch.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote: I love how it looks! The layer of fall leaves gives it that forest floor kind of look, and is nice contrast with the green plants.
Plus all the leaf-kicking birds love, love, love, the worm hunting ground you have created by mulching.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:you don't have to turn it under to feed the soil all you have to do is keep adding mulch.
I do keep adding mulch. In the fall, when putting the beds away for the winter, I will add a bunch more. But in the spring, getting ready to plant, I turn whatever is left under and leave the soil un-mulched for a little while to warm up.

I've done brown mulch before (leaves or wood chips) and I've done green mulch before (grass clippings). What is new this time is the combination.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”